Re: [Celtics' Stuff Rogers for Daniels?

In a message dated 7/28/02 11:27:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Celtic4Hire@AOL.com writes:

> Daniels makes around 3.7 million in a one-year contract. I'm sure Gaston and
> crew like the short term nature of the contract and I think Rogers would be
> happy at that rate, maybe in a one-year deal. Perhaps this is what the talk
> is about, a sign and trade Rogers for Daniels?

A sign and trade deal has to be for a minimum three year contract for the
player (Rogers) involved. The Spurs have stated they want expiring contracts
so I can't see how they'd really be willing to commit to a three year
(minimum) contract when their stated desire is to clear cap room for next
summer's FA class. Flip side is that Rogers could be viewed as a bargain
basement FA addition to the Spurs this season instead and would really help
them from a depth perspective.

Adding Speedy Claxton to back up Parker makes Daniels expendable and on paper
it appears to be a deal that would help both clubs. The main problem with
this sign and trade scenario involving Rogers is that Gaston would in essence
be adding $3.7M to the payroll using Rogers as the bait for Daniels.

Shammond has an expiring contract ($2M). Shammonds' salary and Kedricks'
would balance AD's and work 60 days from SW's original trade date (July 22)
but are the C's really ready to give up on Kedrick now as well? I wouldn't
think so.

I just don't see how acquiring Daniels from the C's perspective would fly
without expanding the deal and dumping existing contract(s) to remain under
the luxury tax. I checked RealGM but the Spurs don't seem to have a trade
exception, injured player, or retirement exception (Sean Elliott?) to use to
facilitate any deal, either.

CeltsSteve

"Life Is a Bowl of Gumbo. Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much!"