RE: Delk For Daniels Almost As Bad As Anderson For Olowokandi Tal k

At 10:09 AM 7/28/02 -0400, James A. Hill wrote:
To answer your question, it depends.  If we are talking a top tier PG, I
think it would be great.  A second-third tier PG, not that critical.
Hmm. OK, I hadn't thought of it that way. I don't think I agree with your answer based upon it, but it certainly is a valid variable to throw in. Thanks for adding it to the question.

Why don't I agree, BTW? And this may have something to do with who I would judge to be a top tier vs second tier vs third, and so on vs how others would split things out. Using the Cs as an example, Kenny would be 2nd tier, Strick maybe 4th, Delk as low as the scale gets.

Surprisingly (even to me), it has more to do with Pierce than Walker, since this past year Walker finally demonstrated the beginnings of a real understanding of how much better it is to distribute the ball more and how he doesn't need to take every shot that shows. Pierce has yet to learn that and makes more mistakes handling the ball (don't know what turnover split is, but that's about what I've seen rather than pure stats. Losing the ball on the dribble but getting it back too late to complete a drive doesn't turn up in stats anyway).

The offense is in desperate need of a true floor general. Someone who not only can pass and dribble, but someone who understands when to do it and when not to, including enforcing the fact that someone wanting the ball all the time doesn't always mean he should get it. Someone who understands spacing and movement without the ball and the difference they can make paired with the personality to get his teammates to buy in, because they won't see the ball until they do. And PLEASE, someone who can and will run a true break, even if he's the only one on it until the other players get the point that this is a good thing and a good way to get some easy hoops and boost their own stats while making the Ws easier to get. I think a second tier PG, who may not be top level because of something like size or weak shot or only good ball handling can do this. And I think it's what our offense needs more than any coaching and new set of plays - a true floor general with a strong enough will and enough talent to get our co-captains to go along with what they should do and like it, and to bring out the best in the other players (e.g. Eric Williams, who genuinely likes to draw the contact, does a better job of drawing fouls than most guys on the Cs, and even if he's not as quick on the first step as he once was is still a much better driver than shooter. He should be encouraged to cut and slash as much as possible on offense when he's on the floor by getting the ball a bit more when he does. If nothing else, it will occupy some of the defense and should open up some lanes for PP on the weak side).

The "designed offense" would need to change with a top PG.  The other guys
would have to be moving and be watching for the pass leading them to the
open shot.
Yeah.... <wipes away some drool over the mere thought>

I knock Walker for his shot selection and a variety of other things he
does/doesn't do, but I can also see why it would be hard to give up control
on the court to guys with lesser skills then him.

With his hands and mobility, give him a top PG who he will accept running
the team and he stays an All Star for a long time.
Absolutely, on both counts.

Kim