Re: Delk For Daniels Almost As Bad As Anderson For Olowokandi Tal k

At 01:15 PM 7/26/02 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
I'm your guy, Kestas. Delk is better than he showed in Boston. But I say
that with one caveat: It became clear in his previous stops that Delk was
not, has never been, and never will be a point guard.
THANK YOU for saying that. That was definitely my feeling watching him (I've gone through the list of PG skill set he didn't exhibit before and won't bore you with repetition) and I've been wondering what I was missing from everyone everywhere's insistence that he's a backup at point who can shoot. It sure wasn't just a new team not connecting with unfamiliar teammates on the pass/play problem, because he wasn't even looking and seeing what was on the court to try to connect.

 He's not even a good
backup point guard. He's also not a starting shooting guard. What he is, is
a shooter and scorer off the bench. Think Vinny Johnson. The Microwave
always played with either Isiah or Dumars. He never played point guard.
That's Delk. He does one thing very well-shoot the ball.
And I'd already heard that like Vinnie he could be streaky both ways, which is why his poor shooting was a frustration in that it eliminated his best chance to contribute but wasn't something I worried about per se. I assumed that part had to be better than he looked. Especially as even at his size, the problem never seemed to be getting his shot off.

Kim