Re: Delk For Daniels Almost As Bad As Anderson For Olowokandi Tal k

Kestas wrote:

On that note, please someone tell me that he's better that what we've seen
of
him with the Celtics....I hope there's some wise NBA rule that prohibits a
team
from establishing a monopoly on 6-1 or so shooting guards who can't shoot,
pass, or dribble, to protect it from its own (mis)management? You know, kind
of
like the "Cavaliers rule" which say you can't trade your first round picks
in
consecutive years?

--- end ---

I'm your guy, Kestas. Delk is better than he showed in Boston. But I say
that with one caveat: It became clear in his previous stops that Delk was
not, has never been, and never will be a point guard. He's not even a good
backup point guard. He's also not a starting shooting guard. What he is, is
a shooter and scorer off the bench. Think Vinny Johnson. The Microwave
always played with either Isiah or Dumars. He never played point guard.
That's Delk. He does one thing very well-shoot the ball.

Of course, he came to Boston and Obie, during one of his many Kentucky
flashbacks, inserted Delk as the starting shooting guard. He can't handle
it. Then Obie started using him as the backup point guard. Again, he can't
handle it. If anyone with the Celtics had been paying attention during
Delk's career, they would have seen this. It goes all the way back to Delk's
days at Kentucky, when Pitino tried to let the guy play point guard to
improve his NBA stock. Delk couldn't handle it then, either. Obie topped off
this piece of coaching genius by asking Delk to shoot from three-point
range. Delk is capable of making that shot, but it's about a step or two
outside his natural range. Delk has admitted as much on many occasions.

He's a limited player, but the Celtics should have known that when they got
him. If you put him in a very specific role, he's very, very good. He's
capable of getting incredibly hot. But that's probably wasted on the Celtics
as well, because they never give anyone other than Pierce or Walker a chance
to get hot. It's not like if Delk hits his first couple of shots they're
going to start running plays for him. No, the Celtics don't have any plays
other than get it to Pierce or Walker on the wing while everyone else spots
up. They can complain about not having a third option (hopefully Baker
addresses that), but they don't try a third option.

Who knows how much Delk's injury hurt him, but I'd guess that the way he was
misused from the day he arrived is the bigger reason for Delk's struggles.
And if they try to make him the starting point guard, he'll struggle again.
If they try to make him the backup point guard, he'll struggle. He is what
he is and he does what he does. But he does it well. That's why he's
valuable, when used properly.

Mark