Re: Delk For Daniels Almost As Bad As Anderson For Olowokandi Tal k

> From: Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> At 01:15 PM 7/26/02 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of Box.pdf]
> THANK YOU for saying that. That was definitely my feeling watching him (I'
> ve gone through the list of PG skill set he didn't exhibit before and won'
> t bore you with repetition) and I've been wondering what I was missing
> from everyone everywhere's insistence that he's a backup at point who can
> shoot.

What does it mean when we say "This guy isn't a [position]"?  If I guy
plays that position then that's what he is.  I agree with the overall
assessment of Delk's point abilities, though, as he seems to have
regressed, even, from his days in Sacramento, but I think he gets labeled
a "backup point" because he's not good enough to start there, really, and
is one of those "shooting guards who doesn't shoot all that well", so
"starting shooting guard" isn't really his forte either.  He gets labeled
the way he does because he's usually the first guard off the bench.  He
gets labeled as a shooter or scorer because the guy can get hot.  On
average he's average or a bit less.  When he's hot you have to milk him,
when he's not you have to pull him.  What was good about last year's
playoffs was that we had Strick to come in and be hot when Delk wasn't.

The analogy with the Pistons is both good and bad, because Delk is a lot
like the Microwave in many ways, but the situation in Detroit then and
Boston now is different.  Vinnie could be the "third guard" and be it well
in part because there were only three guards in the rotation, and because
the starting shooting guard could run the point.  Even if the C's pick up
a PG free agent, the PG situation is by committee, Pierce and/or EWill
will get a lot of minutes at SG (I always think of Pierce as the SG when
EWill's in the game, but position matters less than who you guard on
defense and who guards you), not to mention K. Brown.  Where does Delk fit
in as Microwave?  Possibly backup point, or even starting there.  Yikes.
One possibility that might work is backup shooting guard, but what does
that do to Brown's playing time?  EWill's?

Delk can be a good player.  He has strengths, in addition to his more
obvious weaknesses.  How does he fit in on this team is still something of
a mystery, though.  Maybe the best thing for him to do is concentrate on
improving the skill set needed for a backup point guard.  He was a
serviceable one in Sac-town.  Perhaps he can regain or even surpass that
form?  That would be an ideal role for him on this team.  That, or he
could increase his range.  Or his shooting percentage, but streaky guys
don't usually change.  The only problem with improving point guard skills
is, of course, that that's probably the hardest skills to learn: run the
team, pass first, look for other guys' opportunities to score.  Let''s
hope Delk improves something, though.

Bird