RE: Baker

> ---------- Initial message -----------
> I'm sorry, but all of these trades based on the idea
that the Clippers will
> be monumental idiots (which is arguable) and
furthermore idiots that
> want to take on expensive, mediocre players while
giving up cheap
> young talent (which is completely implausible), are a
waste of time.

> Alex

Yup, point taken ...that's why I'm starting to realize
the Kurt Thomas for Kenny Anderson trade is also a pipe
dream.

Picture that scenario in any other context, and it would
seem beyond the possible.

Thomas is coming off a quasi-All Star season, averaging
9.1 boards and 14 ppg with 33 double-doubles. The Knicks
can't be THAT desperate to get rid of their anti-semite
point guard Charlie Ward.

Still, if the Knicks do want Baker as their center (its a
genuine void on that club), they MAY need a third party
to even out the salary gaps to make it work.

That would be the elegance of Boston's gambit: with
Kenny+Vitaly's salary fitting in neatly 15% above
Baker's, who in turn costs 15% more than Thomas-Ward.

Boston gets a very serviceable player with a ton of trade
value in normal circumstance, plus the combined 30% or so
savings (crappy math on my part, I'm sure) from
Kenny+Vitaly's 2002-03 salary to re-sign some of our own
guys.

Of course, where the ultimate luxury cap ceiling stands,
Wallace might still balk at re-signing RR. But anyway,
what am I talking about? This one's not very believable.

Maybe we should get used to Vin Baker as our "third All
Star". My feeling is that in Boston's scheme, a true low-
post threat will be roughly as valuable as a true point
guard. Baker will probably average around 9 points and 6
boards in the same minutes, now that he doesn't have the
Glove or anyone else feeding him the ball.

In many ways, Vin Baker was Kevin Garnett before there
was a Kevin Garnett. Had he kept closer to his college
weight, he'd still have every shot of being a 20-10
player off his tremendous talent. It is outrageous how
fat and complacent he got the moment he signed for big
dollars. He's all talk now...there is nothing much
separating him from Oliver Miller and Hot Plate Williams
and other formerly versatile NBA bigmen. 15 million+ per
year in the 05 and 06 seasons is a frightening thought.

***

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?