Josh's column

Quite good prose, my man, and funny to boot!  I am convinced there is something going on with the Seattle talks.  Reluctantly, I have accepted the possibility that we may be adding Baker and losing Kenny.  Subtract Kenny, however, as well as Strickland and there are minutes for Forte--who I am glad to see you gush over--if, we have the instinct to keep him.

Two things keep me from resting on the Forte question.  One is O'Brien's comment that Shaw's really doesn't make a difference in player decisions.  On it's face that seems stupid; deeper down, however, it's really stupid.  There's a difference between seeing Blount block a few shots last year and assuming he could be a dynamic backup center and seeing what Forte has done and suggesting that it doesn't matter.  He handled the fast break better than we saw it handled all last year.  The level of competition doesn't matter for that and other things he showed us: a quick release, a heads up dribble, quickness, decisiveness, calm, steals, and a sure shot.  Sure, he will have to work to make that all happen vs. the big boys, but no other guard we have, in my opinion, can make our bench a strength like he could.

The second concern is this.  The article last Sunday, on the eve of the tournament, quoted Forte as saying that he had an excellent all around game vs. Washington in the final exhibition game; then, he was put on the injured list and forgotten.  I remember that game well.  He looked like the backup #2 we needed.  So, I don't think he has recently blossomed.  Maybe there is more strength, more determination or desperation now, but he is merely showing us what made him player of the year calibre two years ago.  He hasn't changed so much as we have, hopefully.If we're not going to use him, then let him go find a career with someone who will.  I'll somehow learn to embrace weathered veterans and love the bomb.  Hardly.  Cheers, Gene