Re: I want Baker

From: "Greg Odegaard" <grodeg@xxxxxxxxxx>

Other than the contract, sure a big deal, I couldn't agree with you more.
Vin is one of those big bodies that has actually fared pretty well against
Shaq in the last 2 years, with the Sonics doing better against the Lakers
out here than just about anyone. Given the challenge of reaping rewards from
the FA market, and using talent only, this deal does make sense.
Yeah, but "other than the contract" makes this an entirely different animal. Try finding someone who wouldn't give it a chance "other than the contract". Without it, Seattle probably doesn't make the trade. Of course, that brings up the interesting possibility that Baker could opt out of part of his four-year deal. I believe Alex suggested opting out of the last two; to me, this still doesn't make it palatable, though I could see C's management taking a chance. And, hey, maybe Baker does rejuvenate somewhat. I'd even bite if he opted out of the last three years -- though I think that's unlikely. But four more years of around $12mil/year? I'd never call Gaston a "tightwad" again, that's for sure. Might start thinking he's "retahded" though. Wicked retahded.

Can anyone
imagine us going much further with Pot? Not damn likely.
I just don't think it's a matter of having V *or* Baker. V's way down on the depth chart now, due to injury and the acquisition of Sundov, but, if we lose Blount, then yes, I would like to keep V. I don't want to go to war without at least three big men not named Antoine Walker. But, the real question is, does the C's point guard rotation without Kenny Anderson and including the likes of Earl Watson (or Shammond Williams), Tony Delk, Joe Forte, J.R. Bremer -- not to mention the possibility of a powerhouse like Damon Jones -- scare the living beejesus out of me? You bet it does But, who knows, maybe that eventuality is being planned for... .

As Alex also said, the list tends to "freak out" over these sorts of possibilities. And hey, let's face it, sometimes it's freakish, and you almost have to freak out. I won't seriously start self-medicating until possibilities become realities, though.

In the same vein, what's gotten lost here is the actual signing of Bruno Sundov for around two-thirds of a million dollars a year, though for only one year. Nice money, but if he has a breakout year, we probably can't, then, afford him. But it's still a good pickup. Certainly he hasn't dfone anything t warrant bigger money or a longer contract, but i hope it at least has a team option. Anyway, one of those could-be "sleepers". He may be poised for a breakout year (dare we hope for 20 mins, 10 points, 8 rebounds? That'd be pretty OK -- not to mention looking a lot like the numbers Rodney Roge--forget it), or Sundov could be the next coming of Eric Riley, or Dwayne Schintzius, or Travis Knight. Well, we'll never have to pay him what we paid Lemur Boy, though.

We'll see...................the sky is falling, the sky is
Indeed, indeed.

Bird