Vin Baker and other moves

First of all, this list has a consistent history of freaking out over all sorts of trade rumors that usually sound terrible and never happen. Before last year, Walker was rumored to be going to all sorts of teams for a variety of spare parts during every offseason. Similarly, Baker's been rumored to be coming here for a long time.

And we never know the details ahead of time. For instance, what if Baker were willing to remove the guarantee on the last two years of his contract (like we were asking Van Exel to do before the trading deadline last season)? That would make the trade pretty appealing in my eyes.

As it is, what would we be giving up? If we make the trade, we give up any spending flexibility in the near future under the luxury tax threshold. Baker's salary is equivalent to more than two middle class exceptions. These can be used to snag some decent quality players - Billups this year, for instance, and maybe Keon Clark? - but not obvious stars. Which Baker isn't anyway, though. On the other hand, if Baker can truly draw a consistent double team in the post and be a legit center in the East and even shrug off his evident general depression by coming home - it seems like a gamble with an unlikely but potentially big payoff. I'm generally against it though because it seems like teams are really getting squeezed by the cap which means having the middle class exceptions available can get you some good players.

Alex