From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Way Of The Ray
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:48 PM
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: C's Closing In On Baker Says Bulpett

It's Anderson, Vitaly, and Forte for Baker and Williams or Earl Watson.
I wouldn't give up Forte and they're over-valueing Eric Williams.

C's mull trade for Sonics' Baker: Kenny, Vitaly may be bait

by Steve Bulpett
Friday, July 19, 2002

The Celtics will sign free agent Bruno Sundov today, and they were
closing in on another big man last night. Sources close to Vin Baker
said yesterday the Seattle center could well be coming to the Celts in a
deal that would include Kenny Anderson and Vitaly Potapenko.

There was word from the West on Monday that Seattle was looking to move
Baker for Anderson and another Celtic contract, but the talks were
characterized as mainly a Sonics creation. A source said last night that
the Sonics' persistence may be paying off as the Celtics put further
conditions on the potential trade.

While Seattle is interested in Eric Williams instead of Potapenko, the
Celts want it to be the latter. They would also like to get a point
guard in return - most likely Shammond Williams but possibly Earl Watson
- and are said to be offering Joseph Forte to make that work. Watson is
a restricted free agent, so that would have to be dealt with, as well,
making Shammond Williams the easier choice. If the Celtics can get what
they want, the transaction could go down within a week.

Celtics general manager Chris Wallace declined comment on the subject
last night.

Baker makes $12.375 million this season and has three more years at the
maximum. Anderson, attractive now after a strong season on the court and
for the fact his contract expires after he gets $9.18 million this year,
would allow the Sonics to get their financial house in better order. The
club is reportedly in a difficult position, posting losses in the
millions.

While Baker would be a big hit on the payroll, the Celtics would
actually gain on the transaction if it plays out the way they wish. If
completed, the move would also pretty much end the pursuit of Rodney
Rogers, who is a dimming hope for the Celts anyway. The club has offered
him just the $1 million veteran minimum.

Sundov, a 7-foot-3 center/forward with more of an outside game, will
come in for the $637,435 minimum based on his four years in the NBA. But
dollars weren't the issue, according to his agent, Frank Catapano.

``It came down to that Bruno thinks he has a better opportunity to play
here than he does in Indiana because of the numbers,'' Catapano said.
``Jim O'Brien didn't promise him any minutes, but he likes O'Brien.

``It was a tough decision for him to leave Indiana because he was very
happy there and he likes the coaching staff. He just felt they had a lot
of guys at those positions (center and power forward) and thought he'd
have a better chance to get minutes here. And because it's a short-term
deal (one year with an option), it gives him the opportunity to move on
if it doesn't work out.''

Celtics notes

Forte continued to take advantage of his opportunity at the Shaw's Pro
Summer League, going for 21 points, five rebounds and five assists as
the Celtics entry moved to 3-0 with an 83-68 victory over Orlando last
night.

Newly signed guard J.R. Bremer continued to impress, hitting 7-of-11
shots on the way to 16 points in 25 minutes, and Kedrick Brown had 10
points. . . .

Omar Cook, the man Bremer essentially replaces on the depth chart, did
not play. ``They keep bringing in two-ones,'' Cook said. ``I'm a true
point.'' . . .

Second-round draft pick Darius Songaila had eight points and eight
boards, but it's clear he's in a transition period. ``He's a little bit
of an undersized power forward and we have to see what he can do from
the small forward spot, from the standpoint of his ability to move his
feet,'' said O'Brien. ``He's just getting a feel for the level of the
talent. He's got to be a role player, obviously, and he's not used to
being a role player.'' . . .

Oliver Miller hit 2-of-3 shots and pulled in six rebounds in just 17
minutes