re: Offseason thoughts

At 01:47 PM 7/19/02 -0700, bird wrote:
Perhaps the fundamental conflict here is between winning and money. If you conduct your NBA franchise entirely like a business, you will not win. If you say money is no object, then you pay a bucketload (and you still may not win). Seems to me this CBA sets it up such that teams that wish to avoid breathing the same air as Dallas, Miami, the Knicks, the Blazers, etc. but who do wish to win (e.g. *not* the Clippers) will, at times, when the moon is positioned correctly, the stars aligned in the right fashion (that is, when you've got the talent -- perhaps two stars and a supporting cast), "make their run", bite the financial bullet for a few years, and go for broke. With the possibility of re-signing Rogers, Kenny's salary coming off the books, a sleeper signing or two (Sundov?), the emergence of K. Brown, it seems that this may be one of those chances for the Celtics.
Masterly summing up of the situation as I see it too. Key word is *entirely*. Gaston's father ran it like a business too but had a love for the game that I don't think his kid shares that tempered some of his decisions.

In hindsight, it looks like the union was mostly interested in fighting for the max contract and not the needs of most of their constituency. Sad.
Wasn't this in fact a big complaint when they were negotiating and after?

Kim