re: Offseason thoughts

Hi Alex, great to have you posting again.

From: Alexander Wang <awang@xxxxxxx>

3. How does this apply to Rodney Rogers? I think many of us want Gaston to bite the bullet and pay that $18M. You can reason that amortizing that cost over a six year contract is only $3M per year, since next year we'd probably be back below the pool threshold. Now the return argument could be this though. Now that the luxury tax is starting to kick in, it's becoming obvious that free agents are being squeezed, which makes it easier for teams to steal quality players from each other using the mid-level exception - basically what has happened with Billups and what seems likely to happen with Rogers. This situation may continue next year:
there will be more buyers as several teams get under the cap but there will be more sellers too, especially with several classes of restricted and unrestricted free agents coming off their rookie contracts. It's possible that a Rogers level talent or better will be available for the mid-level exception. If we signed Rogers to a multi-year deal we would probably not be able to use this exception due to being near the pool threshold again. So from Gaston's point of view, he's probably thinking, screw paying the extra $13M, I'll see what I can get next year instead and save that money. (Of course the ideal situation is that he goes ahead and pays the $13M and uses the exception every single year to get even further over the threshold - this "almost hard cap" separates the haves - Portland, NY, Dallas, and maybe Sacramento? - from the have-nots even more.)
There is a middle-ground possibility between the ideal and the "screwing" though, isn't there. Gaston could take the big hit for one year, then when Kenny's salary comes off the books, the C's payroll lowers by around $9mil or so, making it possible (likely, even?) that they're under the tax threshold. This seems so obvious that i wonder what I'm missing, though Gaston paying out money to fellow owners is enough reason for him, I guess,
not to want to explore that option.

There's also the "wink-wink" option: we sign Rogers to the $1mil offer and then turn around and give him a decent, multi-year contract (3 years or so?
4?) next year. Only we don't put anything in writing, obviously. if I were Rogers, though, the combination of, at my advancing age and the risk of injury, and the penny-pinching of ownership, would make me think of this as an unattractive offer. I mean, I think Wallace and Obie could be trusted, possibly, but Gaston will do what is best for Gaston in the short-term, possibly discounting long-term benefits.

While the team's owner might be thinking about what he might get on the cheap in the next few years to come, he has very little experience or skill in basketball evaluation. When your two stars call up the office to express their desire to see a valued team member return, you fork out the dough and pay up.

Perhaps the fundamental conflict here is between winning and money. If you conduct your NBA franchise entirely like a business, you will not win.
If you say money is no object, then you pay a bucketload (and you still may not win). Seems to me this CBA sets it up such that teams that wish to avoid breathing the same air as Dallas, Miami, the Knicks, the Blazers,
etc. but who do wish to win (e.g. *not* the Clippers) will, at times, when the moon is positioned correctly, the stars aligned in the right fashion (that is, when you've got the talent -- perhaps two stars and a supporting cast), "make their run", bite the financial bullet for a few years, and go for broke. With the possibility of re-signing Rogers, Kenny'
s salary coming off the books, a sleeper signing or two (Sundov?), the emergence of K. Brown, it seems that this may be one of those chances for the Celtics.

Bird

P.S. You know, the player''s union, when they negotiated this CBA, really,
really screwed the pooch. They seemed to be very willing to sign away privileges, and what about that whole idea that the league itself gets to decide on exactly what will be done in the case of basketball revenues being over the threshold. I mean, didn't they have attorneys? Why would you leave a distinct possibility up in the air like that? What the hell kind of contract doesn't provide for this eventuality? Very, very foolish.
In hindsight, it looks like the union was mostly interested in fighting for the max contract and not the needs of most of their constituency. Sad.
Sad and foolish. And, to be fair, the owners are no better.

Bird