re: Let's hope the leaks killed the trade

From: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Believe it or not, I'd prefer either Grant or Croshere-even
straight up-to Baker.
Not so hard to believe at all -- I happen to agree. (Ah, wait, I just figured it out. Anyway.) The story with Grant is about his injuries, not about his talent or drive. I'd take the chance. And Croshere had that great seaon/playoffs under Bird. Maybe he needs a change of scenery. These are things I can be sold on. You may have to buy me dinner first. Perhaps a little sweet-nothings in my ear. But Baker I cannot be sold on.

The thing with Baker is threefold: 1) he's a former All-Star in the East and seems to play well against the East. Let's bring him back to the East!
Only this sounds tenuous to begin with, plus, if all the power forwards come over to the East, it'll be like he's playing in the West again, and will suck. (Oh, he'll have a decent month or two, but then he'll go back to sucking). 2) He's from New England. I don't care. 3) The man is clearly on the decline of his career. Now, people have said this about a lot of players. Anderson springs to mind. But the difference is, you can see it in Baker's body; he's gotten much less mobile, much slower, much bulkier without accompanying strength. In short, he's what passes in the NBA for a big tub of goo. (Oh, he'd kick my behind in any athletic event,
but you know how it is, "we" call people at the median weight "fat" so what do "we" know?)

It is possible that Baker *would* rejuvenate his career. "Possible" in the sense that, say, you survive a fall from a very great height. In the sense that any child can grow up to be President. In the sense that humanity will "grow up" and one day pull it together enough to go out and peaceably explore outer space -- like on some sort of vast "star trek" or something -- on a grand scale. "Possible" in those sense of the word.

Didn't this whole thing kind of have the smack of Seattle's desperation about it right from the start, though? Probably an attempt to bank on the whole "Baker back to NE" thing to begin with. That, and they know one of the Celts' weaknesses (big man). Look, they'd be looking at taking on Kenny Anderson's contract for a year. How desperate can you be?

Bird