Re: shaw game

--- You wrote:
Darius Songaila:  can't play.  Weak, poor rebounder, can't jump.  A better
looking Travis Knight.  I can't see him making the team over Alston.
--- end of quote ---

Whoa, Josh, not so fast. I agree that, aside from a couple of steals and
rebounds, and a basket, he was a non-factor, but I don't think he suddenly lost
the ability to play basketball that he'd displayed for 4 years at Wake. He
picked up 3 quick fouls and sat down. I think judging from one summer league
game that a guy can't play is a little premature. This is especially the case
for a big guy who shares the ball. In case you haven't noticed, it's
everyone-for-himself, playground type of ball,  but with less passing, that
favors players who dominate the ball.

That said, I'm guardedly optimistic about Forte and Brown. Forte was very
assertive and shot well. Kedrick stood out from the crowd with his raw
athleticism, but also showed some awareness around the basket. If this level of
play can translate to the grown-up games, they'll be able to contribute some
this year, especially if Forte is allowed to be primarily a 2.
Cook and Bremmer looked decent, but it's difficult to judge what they could do
in an organized game, as opposed to streetball that's played in the summer
leagues. Alston and Mott made some nice contributions. Mott looked like a more
mobile, poor man's Dale Davis. Then again, ShawShaq looked pretty good last
year, too, so who knows.
Miller is obviously a talent, but if he ate his way out of a potential
multimillion dollar contract some years ago, why would  he stop eating for the
possibility of getting a minimum  contract? Some people just can't get out of
their own way.

Kestas