game impressions

The most promising player, to me, was the lefty guard from St. Bonnie.  He moved very well on defense, handled the ball well and showed a good long range shot.  With some seasoning, he could do the Strickland role.  I think his defense was that good.

Most encouraging:  Forte and Brown.  They both performed well:  Forte shot particularly well, but played well in all phases.  He's a good open court player, confident, able to score in bunches--I'm not sure what more Delk has; Brown loosened up a bit, showed some post moves, hit from outside--I think he's ok.  It just takes time.

Through a glass darkly:  Songaila.  I think he will show something by week's end.  He's got good size and works on defense.  He made a few steals, bumped bigger men on defense--he just fouled too much and had no real chance to contribute.  I like his promise.  T. Mott is intriguing, with abilities to defend and shoot; it's just crowded.

Down the road:  O. Cook.  I haven't yet seen what some think is a great point guard.  He showed some good drives and passes tonight, but he's still too tentative to excite me.  Still, he looked good in stretches and he's signed for next year.  Let him mature.

Fourteen men in green:  the captains, Kenny and Eric, Battie.  Rogers and Delk, Vitaly, Brown and Forte.  That's ten.  Whew!  Cook, the 7'2" wonder Sundov, Songaila and (Walter? or the "Shaq of the Shaw" or the St. Bonnie guard).  That's 14.  Too thin up front still.

Gene