Fwd: [Celtics' Stuff Impressions

I share your reservations and concerns about drawing to draw too much from
tonight's action as it is, after all, just the summer league. Still some real
positives tonight.

Bye, bye Erick Strickland. Shouldn't be any lingering doubts about Forte's
ability to shoot the rock and to be an offensive weapon for this team. Unless
Delk could be moved, Forte will take Strick's spot and minutes.

Bye bye Mark Blount. Miller may be 325 lbs right now but if he agrees to stay
in town the entire summer and work out at Healthpoint to drop another 15 - 20
lbs, I'd sign him for a one year, veterans minimum deal to replace Blount.
Seriously. He'd help the spacing and the flow of the offense because of his
post up ability. And with V on the shelf the first half of the season, he can
be a important addition for short money.

I also liked what I saw tonight from Derrick Alston. He's another guy that
can bring more to the team than Blount. And at least he's got an honest to
goodness, 30-point, real life NBA game to his credit. He averaged 6 points
and almost 5 boards as a role player for the 76ers a few years back. He's
'long' and he's not afraid to mix it up underneath. I think he can defend big
"3's" and quick "4's".

JR Bremer or Cook? It's obviously not fair to judge either after only one
game. Like PScottman said, Bremer is the better shooter and Cook a better
penetrator and passer. If I had my druthers, however, I wouldn't sign either
of 'em. I'd try to sign Jacque Vaughn starting tonight at midnight for a
veteran's minimum contract. The difference in $$$ between a rookie contract
for either Bremer or Cook vs. a veterans contract for a guy like Vaughn might
be $350K tops. The difference between the dimension that an experienced PG
like Vaughn would add to the team vs what either of those two rooks would add
is astronomical. Gaston needs to tell Wallace that he doesn't have to count
pennies. They're likely to re-sign Rogers for relatively short money. Forget
Damon Jones. Forget another 'combo' guard. Spend a couple hundred grand more
and sign a legit backup, pure PG.

All the angst about Kedrick is unfounded. Kedrick is going to be just fine.
Sign a legit PG that can create easy transition baskets with him running the
wing and fans will witness the remake of "The Human Highlight Film". He seems
comfortable with his 3 point shot but still has to work on his mid range
game. But hey, that's Forte's forte, right?

I look forward to reading others' views and reactions to tonight's action.

Steve