shaw game

Well, I know we all saw it, so this has no news value,
but here is my take on the game.

Omar Cook:  I think Ravi Singh must be high or something.
I don't think this guy has NBA talent.  He made a couple
of decent passes the whole game.  He didn't create anything,
didn't stop anybody, and his offense is strictly incidental.  Mainly
I'm disappointed because I had bought into this idea of him as
being a natural point without ever having seen him play, except
a few games at St. Johns.  He's really nothing special, based on
what I saw tonight.  Give me Pepe Sanchez any day.

Joe Forte:  yes!  I hoped that Forte would do what he is good at,
and he did, as if he had been right on the phone with Gene.  Forte
forced his shot, and was still unstoppable.  Definitely the most skilled
player on the floor.  This guy has so much talent; the Celtics have
to keep him.  He made some nice passes, too, including a nice two
on one break with Kedrick that resulted in a thrundrous jam.  Boy,
I wouldn't mind seeing that happen a few times during the season.
He also made a real nice swing bounce pass off the dribble that
the man caught in perfect rhythm for a layup.  Six or seven rebounds too,
unless I miss my guess.

Kedrick Brown:  Another very encouraging showing.  Kedrick missed a
few three pointers late because he shot them without being squared up,
but between his defense, his stationary makes from deep, and his
assertiveness in the paint, he really gave us something to be excited about.
Three times in the second half he scored drop-in one-footers because he
got up in the air faster and higher than the centers who were defending him
--
some of whom were very good defensive players, such as Etan Thomas
and Brendan Haywood.  On another occasion he ripped a rebound out of a

A.J. Breymer:  Looked better than Cook.  A competent point guard with a
nice shot.  I don't know if he has a pro handle, though -- reminded me a
little
of Wayne Turner out there against pressure.

Derrick Alston:  a very competent big man who can't rebound at all, but knows
how to score down low and can shoot from at least 15 feet.  I like this guy
much
more than Mark Blount, who also can't rebound.  But Blount can block shots,
which this guy can't.

Terquin Mott:  I don't know much about this guy, but he has a hell of a body,
showed
some quickness, and some flashes of touch and talent.  I bet he will latch on
someplace
eventually.  One of those guys like Derek Strong and Tony Massenburg that are
just
too hardworking and athletic not to find a roster spot somewhere, despite very
limited
skills.

Oliver Miller:  has lost some weight, but he's still the fattest player this
side of Thomas
Hamilton.  Still has superb instincts and skills, and a very high basketball
IQ.  I don't
see him on the Celtics with his defensive deficiencies (to put it mildly) but
he can definitely
play offense in the NBA.

Darius Songaila:  can't play.  Weak, poor rebounder, can't jump.  A better
looking Travis Knight.  I can't see him making the team over Alston.

Still very little in the way of fast breaks.  The aforementioned two on one
and a three on one
that was less artistic.

Opposition players of note:

Bobby Simmons:  boy can this guy play.  Far and away the best guy on the
Wizards for
my money.  A real slasher / scorer, with a smooth shot and beautiful body
control.  A nice
pickup for Washington.

thoughts?

Josh