Re: player ideas

Since a Tinsley-Croshere trade apparently can't happen
until Aug 1st due to the "base year" rules, I think Obie
ought to run Omar out there 40 minutes per game at Shaw,
Forte be damned unfortunately.

Tinsley did end up at .380 from the field last year
overall. That's not a good stat. And he turned 24 way
back in Feb, which gives him four years (3 years and 11
months)of experience and maturity over fellow NYC point
guard Omar Cook.

If Cook stinks in his Shaw tryout, I'd think hard about
other options. It is hard to find a top playmaking
pointguard, and there is nothing more aesthetically
pleasing to a fan than a team run well from the point.

As for Croshere replacing Rogers, I'm also tempted to
view them as roughly interchangeable parts (one is taller
and younger to boot), but I'd make the following
observations (to reveal my own actual bias):

1) Rogers shot .482 last year on a team that shot .424
overall. Croshere shot .413 on a team that shot .446
overall. This alone (Rogers' shot selection and accuracy)
gave him a distinctive "value" to that particular Boston
Celtics team. Croshere doesn't really offer that value.
During the playoffs, the only times I yelled at the TV in
frustration was when Rogers passed up several wide-open
shots. Looking over his career, Rogers has shot at or
around 50% on 2-pointers for 8 straight seasons, plus his
three-point marksmanship is among the best you'll find at
his position. In fact, it was the best on the Celtics
team last year at .411. He shot treys at .439 in his 6th
MOY season.

2) Despite his admirable shot selection, what actually
distinguishes Rogers from other bench guys has been his
ability to consistently score a lot of points in a small
period of time. He'll get around 12 points in 24 minutes
or less, year in and out. There are ball hogs out there
that can also do that, but as noted, Rogers hardly seems
to break the flow the Celtics offense.

3) Over the past two full seasons, Croshere has
shot .3925 (451/1149) from the field. To like the trade,
you'd have to feel comfortable adding that (and Tinsley)
to one of the worst shooting teams in the league last
year. It may be pure coincidence, but Walker showed
pretty good shot selection after Rogers (the anti-Toine)
arrived. Maybe that's what "team chemistry" can do. He
was the right part to add to the team.

4) Rogers is Boston's best 6th Man of the Year candidate
in years because of his professional consistency.
Croshere can look like a lottery pick on given nights
(that's why he has the 51 million contract), but Rogers
is a pretty sure bet to show up with a 7 to 10 point
quarter while a starter rests. That's pretty key.

5) Rogers played backup center last year without
complaint. As a bonus that I wouldn't have predicted,
there were very few games (maybe one of the NJ games)
where he hurt the team in the playoffs defensively.
Taking Dikimbe and Wallace out of their games is what
turned both series into glorious routs/blowouts. I have
no idea what would happen if Croshere had guarded Ben
Wallace or Dikimbe. Rogers did a good job of bodying up I
felt.

Balanced against that, Rogers is getting old for a 4-year
guaranteed contract (although he probably has several
peak years left with the limited minutes he gets). And
he's short. He's a tweener.

All I can say is, thank god he never grew to 6-10. He'd
be long gone by now. He never would have been in Boston
in the first place.

It all comes down to what Tinsley's true upside is. The
cost is losing Rogers and Anderson from last year's
conference finalist squad. So its a gamble. Boston should
do its homework to see whether we can get the best
performances out of the two Indy players in Obie's
current or re-tweaked system.

And IF Boston can sign Rogers, they should apart from any
trades. Croshere is a different guy. I don't care if
Chris Wallace still wears Croshere's jersey as jammies
every night.

Go Omahhh! Drop any hot-dogging on Tuesday and show us
what you've got! Have a good weekend everyone.

Joe

p.s. I am in the Apple and do plan to hang out a lot with
Michael Gooen this Celtics season. Anyone else who's in
town, I hope you'll drop me a line.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?