Another option for the Celtics...

I've been thinking far too much about the Celtics, Rodney Rogers, Darius
Songaila and the rest of it, considering it's July 1. Rogers has to be
signed. He has to be. So I've been thinking about ways to save some money to
afford Rogers. Trading Kenny is the best option, but they won't do that. I
would have tried to dump Forte for a late first-rounder or second-rounder
and taken a Euro to stash overseas. But they didn't do that, probably
because they're trying to save face and delay admitting what a mistake Forte
was.

So who is left? Vitaly would have been a great trade candidate, but he's
hurt and untradeable until he proves he's healthy (he's a good midseason
trade option). Ewill is untradeable. Kedrick's value to the C's far
outweighs his value on the market. The guy we haven't talked about is Tony
Delk. I like Delk, but his contract is moveable. You probably could trade
him somewhere for a future pick or the rights to a previously drafted
player, freeing up salary this year. Strick could be signed for less, and
Kedrick and Omar Cook figure to assume some of those minutes anyway.

This should be a last-ditch move. I like Delk and think he'll be a pleasant
surprise for Celts fans next season. But the depth in the backcourt and
cheaper alternative (Strick) would make him expendable if it meant the
difference between signing Rogers or letting him go. Clearly, Rogers' size
and skills are more coveted to the undersized Celts than Delk's.

Anyway, I know O'Brien considered Delk the key to the trade, but it's clear
to everyone else that Rogers is the most important piece for the Celts. No
one has mentioned Delk in salary-cutting trades, but he could be moved if
the Celts got creative.

Again, it's a move that should only be considered if it becomes obvious that
Rogers is going to walk. If that looks like the case, dump Delk and throw
his money at Rogers. BUT, the team should just sign Rodney at whatever cost.

Mark

P.S. How silly is the 12:01 a.m. starting time to free agency? They
interviewed the GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets this morning, and he was
talking about the 12:01 start of NHL free agency this morning (same as NBA).
He said he was at the office and making calls until 1:30 a.m. Why don't
these leagues all agree to make the start of free agency 8:00 a.m. July 1?
Is there some reason that's lost on me? Remember last year when Doc Rivers
was on Antonio Davis' porch at 12:01 a.m.? It's so silly.