re: Kenny vs. Tinsley

> From: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
>
> Did Kenny outplay Tinsley last night? You bet. And Reggie Miller outplayed
> Paul Pierce. Want to make any great assertions based on that?

While your advice to not judge Tinsley based on one game is sound, there
are a few of points that are fast developing into mythical truths.  I'd
rather nip those in the bud.

> Anyway, the point all of us have made is that Tinsley obviously is better
> than Joe Forte. He would have been a better pick just like Tony Parker
> would
> have been a better pick. The Celtics had their chance and missed it.

If C's management is lucky, though, they get to re-live that chance
virtually every single day thanks to the beauty of the constant harping on
the list.  Look, Tinsley, Haywood, Parker -- any two may have been better
than any two of the three rooks we have, but what's most important is that
last point: those are the guys *the team has*.  We don't have the other
guys, time to get over it.  You've certainly made your point enough, and
while it certainly has merit, it may also be that the Celtics may have
drafted effectively for what they wanted to do, short-term and long-term.
Only time will tell.

> The Celtics butchered this draft. They're going to regret missing chances
> on
> Tinsley, Parker, Haywood, Eddie Griffin, Jason Richardson and others.

Yes, they will regret it -- and their little dog, too!  Sorry, couldn't
resist.  Anyway, maybe they did "butcher" it.  Maybe not.

> When JJ fell to 10, they had to take him (he was the best
> player on their board...), so now you have two guys who play the same
> position and the same position as your best player. Then you wait for your
> turn to come at 21 and throw a bone to Red Auerbach, even though there are
> better players on the board at positions of greater need. You walk away
> with
> three guys who play the same position, even though better players at
> positions of need were available.

Here is the real myth about the rookies I wanted to address: That they
"all play the same position -- the same one as our best player".  There's
nothing incorrect about it until you look closely at it: While they all
*can* play the same position (SG), it's clear that Forte is being groomed
as a point guard, perhaps a combo-guard ala Strickland, whereas JJ and KB
are wingplayers -- yes, the same position as Paul Pierce, but there are
*two* wingmen on the court at any given time, providing much playing time
to Pierce, his cohort, and their two primary backups, not to mention time
at SG for the combo guard types, especially down the road as contracts
expire.  WIth this myth, people try to make it seem like there's a logjam
three people deep behind Pierce at his position, to further emphasize the
"waste" of the draft picks.  In fact, there's a lot more fluidity (thanks,
  Clyde) in how the Celtics think of positions.

Oh, and another minor point: Joe Forte being a "thrown bone" (an
unfortunate nickname) to Red: I really don't care.  Sure, they could have
drafted TInsley/Parker or whomever, but maybe they are planning on
acquiring a PG in the next draft, or not long after.  Meanwhile, why not
take a chance on Forte, especially since Red seemed to like him.  You
remember Red -- he's not a half-bad evaluator of talent, though he has
certainly made his mistakes, as well.  If ever a guy *deserved* to have a
"bone" thrown at him, though... .

> Wouldn't we all be feeling good about this
> draft if we had Kedrick, Haywood and Tinsley/Parker right now?

I imagine there would always be some who would need to constantly try to
deconstruct that draft, as well.  Maybe Kenny outplays Tinsley/Parker in
this alternative universe.  Maybe Haywood can't do what the C's want from
a center.  Maybe JJ goes to a team that brings him along slowly and he
blossoms into an All-Star in five years.  Who knows?  All I know is, I
haven't felt this good about the team's draft picks in years, with Pierce
being the major, and singular, exception.  Better than Billups, Mercer,
Moiso, et al.?  Oh, yeah.  A cautious "not bad" to the braintrust on their
first draft without Il Duce.

Bird