read it and weep: Kidd on Passing

Saw this in the New York Post.  A must-read.

A PASSIN' FANCY

By FRED KERBER

---

January 24, 2002 -- HOUSTON - Jason Kidd didn't just wake up one day as one of
the greatest passers in the history of the game.
For Kidd, artistry came after "watching point guards in general," especially
Magic Johnson and Pistol Pete Maravich. There were televised Big East games
which were "loaded with point guards" like Pearl Washington and Mark Jackson.
And there was Gary Payton, a playground competitor while growing up in Oakland
who made Kidd learn to pass.

"That was the only way I could play, to pass, because Gary wouldn't let me
shoot," Kidd said with a smile.

Kidd became an observer, watching everything on the floor, mentally
envisioning scenarios before they'd happen. Growing up, he always played with
older guys. Kidd realized early the better players picked the teams. The
better players were the scorers who wanted someone to pass the ball.

"I try to observe everything," said Kidd, who has led the Nets to a stunning
28-13 record going into tonight's game against the Rockets (Metro, WOR; 8:30).
A victory tonight means Byron Scott will be coaching the East All-Star team.

"When we're running plays, I try to be a spectator and watch how the opponent
plays everybody on the floor," Kidd said. "Then maybe suggest something and
say, 'I think we can get this.' A lot of it is just visual. A lot of it is
trial and error. I've always seen the game in that light. Take what they give
you and go to it until they stop it."

Few have stopped Kidd, who on Monday became the sixth quickest player to reach
5,000 assists. He is the fuel that has the Nets thinking of not just the
playoffs, but postseason homecourt edge. Kidd has done it with a passing
approach that he insists "all of it is improv."

"I try to keep the ball from bouncing on the floor and get it up as fast as I
can to put pressure on our opponent," explained Kidd. "A lot of times you can
get easy baskets just by throwing the ball ahead. If Kenyon's [Martin] running
the right side and Kerry's [Kittles] running the left side, a lot of times
everybody will shift over to Kenyon and Kenyon can then be the decision maker.
That's the way I look at the game. I try to play a game within a game."

He plays it well. Just ask Scott.

"The two best I've ever seen," Scott said of Magic, whom he played alongside,
and Kidd, whom he coaches. "I'd throw [John] Stockton in there as a guy who
can deliver the ball right on time and you don't have to do anything but catch
and shoot it or catch and dunk it, catch and lay it in. I don't remember guys
from the '60s and '70s, but from the '80s on, those are the three best."

Why?

"They make the impossible seem simple, they make the game seem simple," Scott
said, explaining how the point guard must know every teammate's preferred
spots. "The hardest job in basketball is probably being a point guard."

Not to Kidd. It's just getting to know teammates - he began that on day one.

"With K-Mart, you can throw it as high as you want. I try to lead Kerry where
he doesn't have to break stride. It's more of a football play, a post pattern
or a flat out bomb," Kidd said. "Everybody is different. With Kerry I like to
throw the bounce pass a lot because he can catch and shoot. The bounce pass is
one you can do a lot with. When you throw the alley oop, it's a lot harder
because you only have one choice: go up and dunk it."

For dunks, the preferred target is Martin.

"I don't even have to look at him. If he sees I'm open, he'll throw it,"
Martin said. "It can only get better as we play with each other. The closest
to him of anyone I've played with is Kenny Satterfield. That's the closest.
But no one like him."