Re: Newest NBA superstar!/Auerbach

In a message dated 2/24/2002 2:28:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
johnlyell@hotmail.com writes:

> I am not sure how some of these
> people get such jobs, or keep them with their poor draft selection and
> trade
> performance, including Red Auerbach who from what I have heard pretty much
> pushed for the Eric Williams and Joe Forte draft selections.  I guess it
> would be blasphemous for someone to call Red on the fact he may have lost
> touch with talent evaluation.

Blasphemous? I don't know, at his age I don't think he's able to bounce
around and see all the college players he would need to see in order to make
informed judgments. But the Eric Williams who played for the Celtics prior to
being traded to Denver and injuring his knee was a far different player than
this version. In the hands of a good coach that Eric Williams might have
become a very good NBA player. As for Forte we are so quick to write him off
as a wasted pick but apparently the Celtics don't think so or he'd have been
dealt off as well to save money.

Are Red's evaluations costing us a chance for #17? Even if they are, which is
debatable, I wonder what number championship we'd be hoping for if Red was
never part of the equation -- 3, 5, maybe 7 if we were lucky?

I am absolutely shocked that the other organizations in the NBA are not
begging the members of this list to come and run their organizations since we
are so much smarter than Red, Chris, etc. Hell, we're so smart that we can
judge NBA talent by watching TV and/or reading boxscores -- we don't even
have to travel that's another cost saving to an organization.

Get a grip everyone.

George