Trade

I had reservations about this trade.  But after a day has passed, I am
beginning to like it more and more.  I don't like the fact that the
Celtics gave up on Joe Johnson so soon.  In reality, though, the three
players we gave up were basically getting no court time.  Delk and
Rodgers both provide us with a combined 20 + points per game.  Although
we still need a rebounder/banger to be a true contender, this trade
addresses a need (more scoring).

To those who are upset with the draft pick that we gave up just ponder
this thought for a minute.  With the exception of a handful of teams,
most teams in the NBA are scared stiff of the upcoming luxury tax.  Some
teams who will be drafting in the area that the Celtics would have been
drafting in will probably want to trade their 1st round picks also.  On
draft day, if the Celtics are blown away by some draft prospect or
someone slips down to the latter half of the draft, then the Celtics can
trade with some team for a pick.  Also, don't forget that Rodgers will
be a free agent, so if the Celtics don't offer him a contract next
summer they can use that money for a rookie contract (and rookies taken
in the latter half of the draft make little money).  And we still have
two picks for the 2003 draft!!