RE: Russell

> From: "Wright, Cecil" <Cecil.Wright@JUSTICE.GC.CA>
>
> Bill Russell singlehandedly revolutionized the game.  He didn't so much
> block shots emphatically like we see these guys today.  He deflected the
> shot so that he could grab the ball and make the outlet pass leading to
> the
> vaunted Celtic fastbreak.  And I don't know if any big man was better at
> filling the lane as a trailer.

Simply put, Bill Russell = best basketball player ever.  Period.  I get
really irritated at people who talk of Jordan as the greatest ever: though
it's debatable, and it is possible, they act like it's some sort of
foregone conclusion.  No. 6 revolutionized the game, won more
championships, is the NBA's all-time blocked shots leader (oh, they may
not *think* so, but even Hakeem knows the score, I'm sure), and was the
smartest player alive.  That, and he went up against Wilt more often than
the Jordanaires ever saw Karl Malone, or Cleveland, or the Knicks, or
whatever flotsam the league was throwing at the Bulls so they could
manufacture a record winning season.  Plus, I just respect the man: his
integrity, his courage, his intelligence, his desire.  He could do it all.

Bird