From: JB [mailto:JBMetzEA@yahoo.com]
Sent: February 20, 2002 8:47 AM
To: Josh Ozersky; Bob McChesney; Celtics Stuff; Celtics@igtc
Subject: Re: Russell

on 2/18/02 11:41 PM, Josh Ozersky at jozersky1@nyc.rr.com wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, do you think it goes without saying that he would
> dominate
> today?  I mean, obviously, he would be an MVP-caliber player, but do you
> think
> he would have his way night in and night out against all the ultra-quick
big
> players
> we have today?  Or pull down 25 rebounds a night?  No blasphemy intended;
> just curious.
       **************
   If a player of Russell's skills, athletic ability, intellect and desire,
played the game to rebound and block shots, he might even exceed his former
inside dominance.
   We have stiffs, grabbing 15 rebounds in 25 minutes. I mean, look at
Popeye Jones. He's doing it with desire and guile alone.
   The great athletic players we have now, don't generally go inside. Bill
would own the paint.
   I even think the centers playing in the 60's were better, more complete
and offered more of a challenge than today's. Think; Walt Bellamy,
Chaimberlain, Lucas, Lucious Jackson, Zelmo Beaty, Wayne Embry, Willis Reed,
LeRoy Ellis, Nate Thurmond and even Darryl Imhof. Are there that many tough
match ups, in the league, at center today?
        JB

                  Unchain My Heart !

Hey Bob,

Great to have you in the group again.  You're the only reason I visit the
fellowship of the miserable on the usenet.

that's a great story about Russell.  I remember seeing him do a similar
feat around the same time on a "Red on Roundball."  (Which every American
should own.)  Red's guests were Russell and Tiny Archibald, around the time
he
was leading the league in assists and scoring.  Red said, "go on, Tiny!  Try
score on him.  Really."  Tiny drove on Russ twice and was rejected each
time.
I don't even recall Russell moving his feet.  I never got to see him play
but he
seems to have been the greatest basketball genius in history.

Just out of curiosity, do you think it goes without saying that he would
dominate
today?  I mean, obviously, he would be an MVP-caliber player, but do you
think
he would have his way night in and night out against all the ultra-quick big
players
we have today?  Or pull down 25 rebounds a night?  No blasphemy intended;
just curious.

Josh