Re: Pacers-Bulls deal

No question, Van Exel isn't without risks. He makes a lot of money, but so
does Kenny, and for that matter Randy Brown (when you consider actual
contributions). If he gives up the last two years of the contract, it all
evens out. You're right about the other questions... the "attitude" stuff.
But like you said, I think I'd hold my nose and make the trade. You're
talking about a guy capable of averaging 20 points and 8 assists. Suddenly
Boston's "Big Three" would rival Milwaukee's. The Bucks still have the edge
up front and off the bench, but the Celts are getting closer.

The argument against depends on what you expect from Joe Johnson.
Personally, I don't think anyone could argue that JJ would contribute
anywhere near as much as Van Exel over this year and next. But what about
after that? That's what you're sacrificing, because it's pretty clear that
Van Exel is a two-year proposition, unless he falls in love with Boston and
is willing to take a pay cut to stay in 2003. You're giving up JJ's future
in favor of Van Exel's present. I'm comfortable with that, but I can
understand why others who expect more from Joe wouldn't be. But I would
consider the Celts a much more dangerous playoff team this season with Van
Exel, Pierce and Walker. That's a potent threesome. I'm also hoping Van Exel
would make Pierce and Walker better players. He's capable of being that kind
of point guard if he's allowed to be. But Obie has to put the ball in his
hands and make Pierce and Walker the finishers, not the initiators, of the
offense.

As for the other deal, like Paul, I'm a pretty big Jalen Rose fan, but still
think this is an unbelievable deal for the Pacers. Not saying it's a bad
deal for the Bulls exactly. They get the best player in the deal and a guy
who is at his best with the ball in his hands. If he can be the go-to scorer
and distributor, the Bulls could see guys like Curry, Chandler and Jamaal
Crawford mature around him. The Bulls needed a legitimate NBA star to anchor
the youth movement, and Rose gives them that. Artest is valuable to a good
team, Miller wouldn't have resigned after next season and Mercer is what he
is. Good trade for both teams, but absolutely tremendous for the Pacers.

Mark

Paul M. wrote:

I LOVE this trade for the Pacers although I'm also pretty fond of Jalen
Rose. Once Isaiah put the ball in Tinsley's hands Jalen's game went into the
tank. Too bad he has to try to find it with that stink hole of a team. As
far as Van Exel goes, I'd make that move, hold my nose, and pray. He's a
definite upgrade over Kenny and can actually hit the outside shot. There's
not going to be doubt about who's going to be the "third scorer" if they
make this trade. As long as Nicky gets to practice, games and meetings on
time, they'll be all right. You have to admit though, he does make an
outrageous amount of money.