Re: Pacers-Bulls deal

----- Original Message -----
From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> The argument against depends on what you expect from Joe Johnson.
> Personally, I don't think anyone could argue that JJ would contribute
> anywhere near as much as Van Exel over this year and next. But what about
> after that? That's what you're sacrificing, because it's pretty clear that
> Van Exel is a two-year proposition, unless he falls in love with Boston
and
> is willing to take a pay cut to stay in 2003. You're giving up JJ's future
> in favor of Van Exel's present. I'm comfortable with that, but I can
> understand why others who expect more from Joe wouldn't be.

If the rumors are to be believed, we already know what the Celtics think of
trading Johnson's future for two years of Van Exel. And if Kedrick Brown is
everything he's supposed to be, why not pull the trigger? If they make the
move they've just exchanged a so-so rookie for a point guard who, on paper,
can make them a much, much better team. And at this point Joe Johnson is at
best a so-so rookie. And concerning the following:

> I'm also hoping Van Exel
> would make Pierce and Walker better players. He's capable of being that
kind
> of point guard if he's allowed to be. But Obie has to put the ball in his
> hands and make Pierce and Walker the finishers, not the initiators, of the
> offense.

I think he makes Walker and Pierce better if he just hits his shots. The
good thing about Van Exel is that he's obviously not afraid to shoot and can
hit his shots. When Van Exel stopped shooting and started distributing the
ball, that is, started playing more like a traditional point guard, the
players in Denver complained and whined. "We want Nick to be Nick." All we
ever heard was how Nick was selfish, Nick needs to pass the ball, and then
when he did for a few games, Lafrentz and everybody else wanted "Nick" back.
I don't care when Nick gets the ball, but when he's open he's going to shoot
and unlike most players on this team, he should. If Van Exel gives up the
last two years on his contract, this one is a no-brainer.

Paul M.