Russell rumors

In a message dated 2/14/2002 7:59:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
renrile@qualcomm.com writes:

> On Byron Russell, go for it.  He'd start on our squad over Strick and E.W.
> .  And even if he just becomes a backup SF, thats a solid confident
> jumpshooter/defender in the playoffs.  E.W. doesn't bring that reliable 3
> pt range that O.B. spreads the floor with.

Before I wasted a first rounder for a rent-a-player who isn't shooting 40% I
would give McLeod a shot. Supposedly he's physically ok now and practices
with the team but it's been said that there's no room for him.

I can see packaging an asset to unload a hefty long term contract in order to
create cap space which in turn would be used to improve the team. The rumored
deal -- and the key word in that sentence is rumored -- would give up a first
round pick just to dump Randy Brown's contract for next year. Oh yeah, and
because the Celtics don't want to pay another 1st round guaranteed contract.
That's a bunch of crap!

Previous reports have stated that it's not just paying the luxury tax but
that the teams under it will not only split the tax money but will divide up
the player's escrow
meaning between 7 and 9 million per team -- nothing to sneeze at. BUT I DON'T
WANT MY TEAM RUN THAT WAY!!!  There are many other things Gaston can do with
his money if he's looking for that kind of return. I'm not saying we should
spend like drunken sailors but we should use every dollar we are permitted to
use if it is needed to improve the team.

George