Fwd: Vin Baker

In a message dated 2/14/02 11:27:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
francis@ai.mit.edu writes:

> The Seattle Times and Sports Network are reporting the Celtics as one of
> three teams (the others being Pacers and Knicks) being interested in
> Vin Baker, although one article seems to be a paraphrased version of the
> other.
>
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/134404446_soni14.html
>
> http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&
> page=nba/news/ACN1934351.htm

This is very interesting given the timing coincides with the reported trade
discussions with Utah for Russell in the Herald and Globe. Not long ago,
there was in the Herald, I believe, a reference to the fact that Utah and the
C's had held prior discussions re: Utah's interest in V. Ostertag is in
Sloan's doghouse so far now that I'm wondering if the current talks between
the two clubs over Russell have also included the possibility of the deal
being expanded to include Ostertag and V?

Given the fact that the C's would still be overloaded at the wing positions
and coupled with these two articles that Francis cites, could the interest in
Bryon Russell actually be only to in turn reroute him to Seattle as part of a
deal for Baker? Seattle wants to keep Rashard Lewis and they could be looking
to create cap room to re-sign him. There also was some prior interest by the
C's in Shammond Williams.

CeltsSteve