Re: Bremer makes his move

JoeH,
Very well thought out. I appreciate it when I see level headed commentary on
the lists. You are one of the few guys who understand the monetary aspects of
the trades.

I do think the Knicks would be interested in Vin. Spree was available. I
don't think his practice habits would bother the C's because they don't
practice much.

I was thinking on what we could trade for. I think we will make a trade prior
to the deadline. It would seem point guard and veteran scorer are the areas
we could improve on. Kedrick and Shammond plus the no. 1s would be the bait.
The names I came up with were Jason Williams, Marcus Fizer, Sprewell and Sam
Casell. Williams has a big, long term contract so he's out. Fizer is a
possibility although he doesn't fit into what the Cs are doing unless you
play him at center. Sprewell has a huge contract but it runs out after next
year. You would have to trade Baker to get him. Sam has a good (4.5 million)
contract but it runs out after this year. He would have to fit into the
rent-a-player status or we would have to get the new owner commitment on
paying cap penaltys.

All four of these guys would fit into what the Cs are doing and could be
available. I would especially be intrigued with Casell. Vin at this point
doesn't fit into what we are doing. It seems a better fit would be another
Battie type, more mobile, defensive minded 4 and 1/2.  I still believe Vin's
contributions will be made in the playoffs. Right now, you sometimes have to
just shake your head. He seems like he has bad wheels like Walton did. He
also appears to not be alert. He really seems like he needs to be in a low
post offense like the Knicks run with a true point guard who can get him the
ball in the right spot would can best bring out his unique skills. I am
disappointed he isn't contributing more at this point. However, Delk totalled
sucked last year and this year has become a killer with his shooting. He fits
into exactly what the Cs are doing. If he doesn't cool off later in the year,
he makes the JJ deal work and makes the RR nonsigning inconsequential.

Speaking of Delk, I just thought of another guy that would fit in, Derek
Anderson. Then the Bluecats would all be back together. Think about it, Obie
has them doing the same thing they did at Kentucky except the gimmick defense
is in the half-court instead of the full-court. They still shoot the threes
on the offensive end. Wait, I forgot Mercer. Just think about how good that
championship team was.

The two contributions that Vin has excelled in is setting picks for Pierce
and blocking out opposing centers. This allows PP to get free on his drives
and allows other Cs to get the rebound. These things don't show up the stats.
This is important but you would hope you would get more for your 12 million.
However, we can afford to be patient....

DJessen33

<< JB I was thinking exactly the same thing after the Knicks
 game this weekend. Vin Baker played well against us, and
 now he's playing well against them. If he keeps it up,
 you never know with that guy Layden.

 A trade would allow Boston to re-sign Walker in 2005,
 without blowing up the cap thanks to Baker.

 The last thing the Knicks should do, frankly, is try to
 get all the way out of salary cap jail the hard way. The
 team is such a financial basket case (96 million payroll
 NEXT summer) that its a clear dead end trying to
 progressively shed salary for the sake of cap
 flexibility. Even getting to within 20 million above the
 cap would require fans to suffer seasons of terrific pain
 and disruption, with zero salary cap benefit in return.

 What the Knicks should do instead is aim to get a lot of
 bad contracts that expire in the same year or two. Then
 restart from there.

 And if they have a deal with David Stern to reward them
 in the LeBron James sweepstakes, then now is the time to
 move Sprewell and get a center better than Doleac to
 complement McDyess.

 I don't like Sprewell, but at least he's a tradeable
 commodity and a fantastic defender.

 Knicks fans would never go for Baker for Sprewell. He's
 so popular.

 So if the Celtics think Vin Baker is a complete loss
 after this season(which I don't), then the fastest way
 out of the situation is to trade him for Luc Longley
 (he's retired, but on the books) and Travis Knight.

 Or even Antonio McDyess straight up, if he has another
 medical setback(or else the Knicks wouldn't trade him).

 All three players are off the books after next season. It
 wouldn't surprise me if the Knicks said yes to that kind
 of deal, even this summer after we've gotten a full test
 drive out of Vin Baker.

 To the Knicks, what's another contract expiring in the
 second half of the decade? Even after all those guys
 clear the cap two-years from now, the Knicks still have
 six guys earning between 6 million and the max.

 And to Boston, what did we really give up for Baker in
 the first place? Hardly anything, if you already consider
 Shammond for Kenny a wash for the Celtics system. It
 wasn't a bad trade, personnel wise.

 This type of housecleaning scenario is something I could
 picture if Chris Wallace gets fired.

 But bear in mind that trading Vin Baker won't clear real
 cap maneuverability, anymore than holding on to Kenny
 Anderson and Potapenko would have. It will merely keep
 ownership safe from luxury taxation, while re-signing
 Walker. That's all you get, apart from the satisfaction
 of seeing Baker fail as expected.

 And I'll say again that if you look around the league,
 there are plenty of Vin Baker type max contracts
 scattered around on even the best-run teams.

 Boston has a first place team with a middle-of-the-pack
 payroll. That's what we're basically complaining about.

 The Knicks roster has half-a-dozen Vin Bakers contracts
 on it. They owe Larry Johnson more than 17 million. Allan
 Houston+Shandon Anderson will be paid a combined 30
 million dollars in the 2007 season. The Nets still owe
 Dikembe 54 million dollars, about the same as his actual
 age. >>