RE: Positive & Negative Look At Bird's Franchise Efforts

At 06:24 PM 12/20/02 -0800, Maria (John) Lyell wrote:
I don't understand how the NBA could give Charlotte this team when they
could not market the last one. Was anyone else in the running?
The perception - probably pretty valid - was that the real problem was hatred of the absolute scum bag (in ways that Gaston for his faults would never dream of) prior owner, not the sort of generalized fan disinterest polluting support for decades in places like Atlanta. They honestly supported them well at first, even given how much competition there is there with college hoops popularity. So you pair a perception that the fans shouldn't be punished for responding to the faults of an owner who should only be approached in a decontamination kit, with what I think is a pretty strong desire by the league to take advantage of the area as a prime US hoops hotbed, because of the colleges. I'm not sure I completely agree with it all but given that they couldn't force out Shinn, I think that's the general underpinnings. I rather think there's some intentional slap in the face to Shinn in the move too.