Vin Baker

The fact is Obie went with Antoine (or Walt) at center in
crunch time last night. It shows what a poor match Vin
Baker has been for this team. Pretty much a disaster.

At least to the extent I had hoped for, Baker has been
reliable as a low-post scorer if he gets the ball. Give
him eight shots in the paint and he'll probably score ten
points consistently from the field and line, I'd wager.

Baker would add some points too if he put himself in
position to take some of Battie's 15-foot face up
jumpers. Baker has hardly taken any shots from greater
than five feet away, which is very surprising considering
the type of player he used to be and the type of player
Obie seemingly wants him to be.

Some people have said I should not compare Baker to
Parish or Walton. I assume it wasn't clear, but I was
talking about a specific thing: low post coordination and
effectiveness.

Obviously I wouldn't trade five Vin Bakers for one season
of Bill Walton...or any other Hall of Famer. That's not
the point I wanted to debate, in bringing that up.

As much as I hoped for, Baker has considerable technique
and touch in the paint. It seems ages ago, but he was a
four-time All Star.

All of the above must seem like a trivial point for me to
harp on, but having relied for many years on boxscores
and these mailing lists while living abroad, I think its
very misleading to portray his performances as terrible.

To me, the definition of terrible is when you pray a guy
doesn't shoot, or see a guy give up serious points on
defense. Or a series of stupid, stupid fouls that none of
us would have made. I don't think that's been the case.

Because he's a bad fit, I'm not sure how he performs can
change his situation. Last night was the latest example.
Battie gets kicked out, so Obie goes with McCarty and
Walker at center during crunch time.

Did Vin Baker play poorly or leave the game because of
foul trouble? Was he giving up position or getting scored
and dunked on? No. He actually played his usual game,
only to sit and watch when the game was on the line.

In the end, the guy is a 17 mpg, decent contributor. He's
a 2Q and 3Q substitute. I don't think he's hurting the
team with that amount of minutes, or in general.

And I do know there are more underperforming max
contracts out there than you'd think. Phoenix has four
max contracts, signed from now through eternity.

Gugliota clears the cap in two years. Backing up Walker,
he'd play even fewer minutes than Vin Baker plays now,
but maybe that's the kind of bottom fishing that can get
Boston out of Chris Wallace's mistake.

Until we bite that bullet, I say we cheer on Vin and hope
he ups his trade value (from zero) or helps us go an
extra round in the playoffs. No sense in bashing his game
or his character (bash the GM instead). From what I've
seen, its not as much Baker's fault as some people
clearly think.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?