Re: [Celtics' Stuff Vin Baker

At 09:42 PM 12/10/02 +0200, hironaka@nomade.fr wrote:
To me, the definition of terrible is when you pray a guy
doesn't shoot, or see a guy give up serious points on
defense. Or a series of stupid, stupid fouls that none of
us would have made. I don't think that's been the case.
Yup, but Joe, one he does do that you forgot to list is turnovers, including bobbles that someone else may have picked up so they don't get included in the total. It's really really bad at both ends. He loses the ball far too easily and often. He loses it on rebounds, he loses it on passes. It's not "I can't catch" bad hands, it's more like weak/slow ones. Especially if anyone even slightly swats at the ball. Too often I'm caught between being furious that he doesn't move enough to get to the ball and praying that it doesn't get in his hands to be lost.

Did Vin Baker play poorly or leave the game because of
foul trouble? Was he giving up position or getting scored
and dunked on? No. He actually played his usual game,
only to sit and watch when the game was on the line.
He was giving up position in the sense of not moving enough to get the boards or to do much on defense. And see above about bobbling the ball practically every time he touches it. You can be a liability without getting dunked on. I think yes, he did get pulled with the easily arguable idea that McCarty's more active body would likely contribute more.

Look, honestly I'm with you in not throwing the book at Vinnie, but I think he's got to do more himself to get out of his problems rather than looking for excuses. I'm with his teammates - I WANT to see him succeed and do see something still left there. But...

Kim