Re:All the whining about Gaston

From: Tammo29@xxxxxxx

The Heat played it cheap last summer and it cost them big time. Then to
top it off there was no luxury tax, so they gutted their team for nothing.
The owners have done an about face and given Heat management the OK to spend.
In fact, the Heat already have spent more than the Celtics with just 7
players under contract. And the Heat are not alone.
Even the Memphis owners have recently given West the green light.

[snip]

When half the teams in the league are spending more than you are, and you are
still dangerously close to the supposed luxury tax threshold, it's hard to
argue that everyone is showing fiscal restraint. And how many teams in the
second and third groups are legitimate playoff contenders? It's no fluke
that all the big boys, save for the Spurs, are in the first group.
This was an excellent post. The team salaries list, based around Boston's median was very interesting. If Jordan comes back, will there even be a luxury tax? (Speculation was, last year didn't have one in large part because of his contribution to revenue.) How can Gaston be considered "prudent" if half the league is going to spend more than him? That's not being "responsible", it's being "average" or "mediocre". And your last point is the bottom line, for me. Teams that do not pay in the NBA do not win, simple as that. And since I'm rooting for the Celtics to win, I'd like to see Gaston pony up some dough or get out and let someone runs the show who will.

Bird