Re: Hardaway/Strickland; Cheap Gaston

In a message dated 8/16/02 10:05:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pdelevett@yahoo.com writes:

> I like Strick better than another, similar player
> whose name has been bandied about here, Greg Anthony.
> Anthony may be a purer point who can run an offense
> better, but he's a dreadful shooter, and Strick can
> provide the same defense and toughness in a bigger,
> stronger package.

Actually, Greg Anthony is a better career shooter both from the field (by a
good margin) and from beyond the arc (pretty close) than Strickland. But I'll
give you that Strickland is a couple inches taller and can provide more
physical defense than Anthony. However, isn't that (physical defender) also
the role of Delk and to a lesser extent Bremer if he sticks?  I, too, would
like to see Strickland come back but only in place of Bremer as there is no
need to carry 4 munchkin guards (Delk, Williams, Bremer, and Strickland) and
not a single one of them is a pure PG.

Under a best case scenario, I'd re-sign Strickland and let Bremer go so as to
allow the team to also sign a legit, veteran, playoff tested PG like Anthony
as the 4th small guard. Can anybody clarify Bremer's contract status? I'm
under the impression it is partially guaranteed only through training camp?

And for roster spot 13, I'd go after a bruiser like Gary Trent or Brian
Skinner in that order.

CeltsSteve