Re: All the whining about Gaston

Rogers was going to NJ to play with Kidd this year unless some team "vastly"
overpaid him anyway.  I suggest that he went to NJ for less then it would
have taken the Celtics to resign him.  Since there wasn't any real interest
in him this off season his going to NJ was a done deal for a long time or
the Celtics priced him pretty accurately.

Rogers is quoted as saying that Kidd has been suggesting he come to NJ since
last summer.  Wouldn't that be tampering?  I doubt the league will
investigate Rod Thorn or Kidd about it.

Supposedly other teams offered more and he turned it down.  Rogers then
waited out the signing of Childs and the Motumbo trade to give NJ the cap
flexibility it needed.

I don't believe that Boston had any real chance to sign him anyway and
Wallace was taken to the cleaners by Phoenix because they knew this also.

NJ has to put people around Kidd to try and get him to stay, Rogers was
worth more then they paid him just to keep Kidd happy, but less then he
wanted to stay here.

If Gaston passed up on a Kidd like talent because of the cap that would be
one thing but Rogers can't carry Kidd's jock talent wise.

Our captains do not draw others to play with them like Kidd and Shaq, Duncan
and some others do.  I don't think the chemistry between our captains and
Rogers is any where near the same as his is with Kidd.

Gaston just gambled on a 4 time all star with a max contract.  This gives us
three max contracts.  How many other teams in the league have that?  What a
cheapskate!

If Baker works out, then the team is a PG and a couple bench guys like
Rogers away from a real run at it.  If he doesn't, then going into luxury
tax area and overpaying for Rogers would have been a waste of money, IMO.
Plus without Rogers, OB has to play Baker and can't just hide him on the
bench like he does others.

If Rogers wasn't going to sign here unless we overpaid him then better to
let him go.

There is more to this then meets the eye in my opinion.

<Jim