Re: Big Dog apparently traded to Atlanta for trinkets and trash

On Saturday, August 3, 2002, at 05:33 PM, Orion wrote:

Sorry bird, I never mentioned Elton.
OK, maybe you're right, maybe you didn't. I wasn't trying to attribute specific players to any proposed plan or scheme, just using some players as an example; if I could have remembered more decent players on the Clips I would have included them, too, just for emphasis. There's always Miller,
but I don't think he can be traded again anytime soon. I still don't think it's wrong to attribute to you a fascination with trading the Celtics' detritus for another team's star, or, more often, rising star. How in the world will this ever happen?

Although Glen has never been a solid all-around performer, who in his right
mind would take Tim Thomas over Glenn Robinson? Tim Thomas has been a
major underachiever.
This doesn't seem nearly as clear-cut to me at all. Thomas may even have more all-around talent than Robinson, though of course not his shooting touch. Thomas *has* been an underachiever, you're right about that, but mostly because of minutes issues. Namely, Glenn Robinson was taking Thomas' minutes. So out goes Robinson. Maybe they blamed him (in part) for the breakdown last year; maybe they preferred Thomas. Maybe the Bucks didn't want to deal with Robinson's legal issues. What I do know is, at this point in Robinson's career, I'd take Thomas, more often than not. Unless I needed a small forward scorer to push me over the top, say. But there are many scenarios where I'd take Thomas over Robinson.

At least some proposals are better than people who complain that we don't
make any significant moves then whine we  try to get better trading an
over-the-hill point and some fodder for Vin Baker and Shammond Williams.
A matter of opinion, I guess. Myself, I prefer not to have truly outlandish trade speculations wasting time. I don't think they're better than "whining" per se, as long as the "whines" are skillfully written, make an interesting point, and/or have something to back it up. In fact, I find "whining" about things that actually happen to the team preferable to baseless speculation. But hey, that's just me.

In fact, the trade would be better assessed as "over-the-hill point and some fodder for Vin Baker and more fodder". You tend to overrate Shammond Williams, I think, because he hasn't played for the team yet. Four months into the season, you'll be saying how we should move him for Olowakandi and Odom. The grass is always greener.

Don't underestimate Shammond Williams.
At this point, there's no way I can.

A comment form a raptor site to GM Glen Grunwald:

"Hey Glen, do what you can to get Shammond Williams into a Raptor jersey,
Him and Vince look great together!"
Perhaps they could develop their own fashion line together? Walter McCarty could provide the theme music. What does it matter that some yahoo with a web site likes Shammond Williams? I bet his mother loves him,
too. I'm going to wait until I can see what he can do on the court. Especially if he doesn't perform well, I'm not going to get too attached; I have a feeling Shammond Williams will not be long in this franchise. He'
's got "last-year-of-the-contract ... start your bidding!" written all over him. Maybe, just maybe, he can contribute to the team from the point position, though. We'll see.

Bird