re: Weekend update

> From: Celtic4Hire@AOL.com
>
> First,
> Bird -- you better get a word out to Pierce that Obie isn't a bonehead and
> knows he is doing. Hee Haw. Seriously, Obie "brang it" this year. Because
> of
> the overall success and because he has brought this far, I am backing him
> 100%. However, I think he overcoached when he diagramed the play for
> Walker
> instead of PIerce. It was a 1 point game and Walker had just missed about
> 7
> in a row. Pierce had broke the field and powered for an attempted jam and
> foul. Pierce is your go-to guy. WHY WOULD YOU DIAGRAM A PLAY FOR A THREE
> POINT SHOT WHEN ALL YOU NEED IS A TWO TO WIN? You have no chance at a foul
> call when you are shooting a three. The refs were ready for Pierce to
> bring
> home the glory (opinion). Coaches have been fired (mostly in football) for
> making the wrong call at critical times. You got to let your big dog bring
> home the win. You don't let your "MVP" be a diversion. He is supposed to
> win
> it for you.

I don't know.  Certainly someone can make mistakes without being a
complete moron.  But, i don;t think running a play for Walker instead of
Pierce is so terrible.  Walker has made many game-winning shots, just as
Pierce has done.  I'm confident in both taking a final shot, as long as it'
s a good look, and, really, I'd almost rather them taking a bad shot than
someone else taking a better look.  Almost.  As for the threes, it's not
the stupidest strategy ever employed: the other team will be looking for
you to take a three, they may not defend the three with as much vigor as
would be necessary to change the shot, and the C's have a number of good
three-point shooters.  You're probably mistaken if you think the C's in
general or Pierce in particular was going to get a call that late in the
game -- I'd love for that to be the case, but the refs have given no
indication whatsoever that that would happen.  And I think others have
commented on how useful a team's star can be as a diversion.

It all boils down to success, though: if they team had won, Obie's a
genius and whoever makes the final shot is the hero.  Because they didn't
win, fault is found.  Now, I hope the coaching staff is looking at
"mistakes" they made, with an eye towards correcting them, but that doesn'
t mean that, when the situation comes up again, they should automatically
call Pierce's number at the end of the game.

Bird