Re: What I'm Satisfied With

At 14:01 4/3/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Because I like Kestas' idea about re-signing McCarty: minimum veteran's
>salary, team options, short term.  I'm not so sure about the incentives:
>maybe Walter McCarty has a freakishly lean, sort of underdeveloped body.
>I mean, he clearly does, but I'm talking about medically, in that maybe it'
>s very difficult for him to put on muscle, or when he does, he loses
>quickness.

It's difficult for most people to put on muscle, unless you're a genetic
freak and/or use gear. But most NBA players manage. It's really not that
complicated  - if you eat more (quality) calories than you burn, and  lift
an adequate amount, you'll put on some muscle, at least initially. You
won't grow past a certain size without juicing, but McCarty isn't anywhere
near that. Besides, unlike certain positions in the NFL, you don't need to
get really big to play in the NBA, although it helps up to a certain point
if you're a PF or C.

Btw, McCarty is not 'freakishly lean', it's just that his muscles are
underdeveloped, so he looks just plain ol' skinny. He doesn't have a lot
definition.  Heck, Battie looks like a Mr. Olympia next to him. Now, guys
like Ben Wallace, Delk, Outlaw, Scottie Pippen, David Robinson and many
others *are* freakishly lean. They have varying amounts of muscle, but all
have a very low bodyfat %.

As for losing quickness by putting on muscle...Quickness is a function of
the type of training one does and one's % of fast-twitch fibers (more the
latter). Sprinters are pretty huge, girth-wise, yet they are the fastest
human beings on the planet. Their size is part training (including lots of
weight lifting), part juicing, and part selection bias (fast-twitch fibers,
of which they have plenty, grow the most in response to appropriate
weight-training). Since McCarty is a former HS track star (400 m, I
believe), and is obviously not juicing or lifting, he must plenty fast
based on natural talent.  So, appropriate weight training (i.e. a
speed-strength training regimen, not a bodybuilding one) would make him
faster, not slower, through  hypertrophy of his naturally abundant
fast-twitch fibers.
Hit the weights, Walter, you have much to gain...

>Unrequited love, thy name is Kestas... .

Uh-oh. That's how Internet rumors start....