What I'm Satisfied With

We see a lot of folks complaining that other folks aren't quite as
competitive, maybe, in that they're "satisfied with just making the
playoffs this year."  Well, I'll tell you what I'm satisfied with.  A team
that never seems to quit.  You can't count this year's C's out of any game.
   What cinched it for me was the Laker win, but this Celtic team has come
back from a fourth-quarter deficit 18 times this season -- that's almost a
whole quarter of it.  Sure, taking quarters off (like the third) has
bitten the team in the butt a few times, too, but I'm saying that this
team has made it really fun again to root for the Boston Celtics.  You
couldn't say that for a long time.  What we've got here is a little like
what Rick Pitino promised but never delivered: a fun, exciting team that
runs (well, sometimes), shoots the three, plays good defense, and creates
turnovers.  That's excitement.  Are those qualities going to drive them to
a championship?  I'm skeptical, but in this year's East, those who say the
C's can make a Championship Series appearance ought to heeded.  I'd be
happy to make it out of the first round, but no matter how the C's finish,
  they've created something they can build in for next year.  That's partly
why they need to re-sign some of their "character" guys: Strick, Rogers,
maybe even Waltuh.

Because I like Kestas' idea about re-signing McCarty: minimum veteran's
salary, team options, short term.  I'm not so sure about the incentives:
maybe Walter McCarty has a freakishly lean, sort of underdeveloped body.
I mean, he clearly does, but I'm talking about medically, in that maybe it'
s very difficult for him to put on muscle, or when he does, he loses
quickness.  I don't know.  I can also believe he's just a guy who has more
passions than basketball and just sort of gets by on natural athletic
ability and veteran (by now) savvy.  Still, for the right price, he's a
good utility player you can sub in at various times and for various needs.
   Plus the guys seem to like him.  Talk of McCarty manning the middle is
something of a pipe dream, but then again, he did have that good showing
against Shaq that someone brought up.  We ought to be used to the
occasional "I love Waltuh" performance, though.  He hasn't shown it
consistently.

I'm also satisfied with Isaiah Thomas as the Pacers head coach, because he
helps them lose.  Look at the Pacers' roster -- look at it!  See the
talent, the size, the ability.  Now look at the record.  Same as the
record last year, just about.  Now, pan slowly over to the dapper coach on
the sidelines ... go in for the close-up.  You get the idea.  Maybe one
day Thomas will be successful as a coach, but right now he ought to be
making people turn to the thesaurus looking for words than mean "stupider
than a moron" and/or "blinder than a blind squirrel".  And it couldn't
happen to a better guy than Thomas.  I don't like Isaiah Thomas.  So there.

Back to the C's: not really playing all that well, except in spurts, still
winning games.  I know it'd better to really be "putting it all together"
for the playoffs, but I will take what I can get.  And I like what I'm
getting.

Oh, and I also like Rodney Rogers.  Thought Pitino was smokin' the crack
when he proposed the Battie-for-Rogers trade.  That particular one might
still be debatable, but the interest in Rogers has been proven to me to be
not without merit.  Our centers are getting like 20-25 minutes a game,
mostly due to Rogers, his increased playing time, and the "small lineup".
Oh, I like the three-point shooting (Me likey!  Me likey!) well enough,
but I really like his ability to beat guys off the dribble on the wing.
For a big guy (and Rodney Rogers is a *large* gentleman), he can really
move quickly.

Unrequited love, thy name is Kestas... .

Bird