Re: pps

--- You wrote:
My point, User, was/is that if the offense is looking for increased efficiency
then Battie by all means should become a more integral part of the offense.
--- end of quote ---

I'll reiterate the point that (I think) Alex Wang has brought up before: just
because a player has a certain offensive efficiency at current shots per game
(spg) doesn't mean he will have it at a different spg. For example, if Battie
started taking 20 shots per game, and was still able to shoot at the 55% clip
(i.e., quadrupling the number of shots taken didn't adversely affect his aim),
the defenses would most certainly start taking a greater interest in him.
Currently, he shoots mostly uncontested jumpers and putbacks/dunks off someone
else's penetration. If he became one of the foci of Celtics' offense, he would
be much more closely guarded and his efficiency would likely go down.

Each player has his optimal offensive efficiency point. Whether Battie is at
his optimum is open to question. However, I don't think his optimum is, say, 20
shots per game - few players are that good. That's why it's foolish to have
Walker take so many shots - he's likely way past his optimal point on his
offensive efficiency curve. I mean, it's foolish from purely basketball
standpoint - if it keeps him happy and contributing in other areas, then
perhaps it's worth it.

Kestas