Dr Jack's diagnosis

Jack Ramsay identifies the problems well.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/cs10142001.htm

``I was going over numbers in the critical areas, defensive areas,'' Ramsay
said. ``They ranked 25th in field goal percentage allowed last season, 26th
in total rebounds, they're outrebounded by more than three rebounds a game.
Those things kill you. They allow about 46 percent to their opponents and
they've got to get that number down closer to 43. Now that doesn't sound
like a lot. It's only three-hundredths, but it's huge.

``And the rebounding . . . there have been some good teams. Indiana wasn't
a good rebounding team, Sacramento was not a strong rebounding team, but
they have so many other alternatives that they compensate for that lack.
This team has to get the maximum from all their people. Rebounding is such
a key. You have to defend reasonably well and you can't give second shots.
You have to rebound well to run. Those things just have to improve.''

As for the boards, Ramsay believes the situation can improve from within.

``It's attention to detail,'' said the coach of 1977 NBA champion Portland.
``It's attention to blocking out and pursuit of the ball, making it a
priority for everybody, for all five guys. That's really what Philadelphia
does.

``Vitaly (Potapenko), Mark (Blount) and Tony (Battie) all have to make
rebounding a priority and I think they're capable of doing that. If among
them they could get 15 points and 12 to 15 rebounds, that would be enough
for this team.''

``I've really found out a lot about Jim,'' he said. ``We had talked
basketball a lot, but I had never seen him coach before in a practice
situation and he's excellent.''