Kenny--still out of touch

Maybe I'm way off base here, but was anyone else less than moved by Kenny's
gesture toward the Sept. 11 tragedy. In case you missed it, he donated
$5,000 and is pledging $50 for every assist.

Far be it from me to tell someone how to spend their money, but this guy
makes $7 million a year. He joked about "selling one of his cars" during the
lockout. Doesn't his gesture seem a little, I don't know... hollow? I mean,
this is a guy who could really do something substantial, yet this comes
across kind of cheap. Am I wrong?

I watched staff where I work-people who make a tiny fraction of what Kenny
makes-donate thousands of dollars. One man here gave a check for $1,000-a
huge sum for him and his family. That's about 1/50th of his annual salary.
Kenny's $5,000 donation is 1/1,400th of his. Even if Kenny dishes out 500
assists (highly unlikely) we're still only talking about 1/233rd of his
salary.

The people here raised $12,000 in a week's time, and these are average,
working people with families at home. Many baseball teams-entire
organizations-donated a day's pay. That included the traveling secretary as
well as the Ken Griffey Jr.'s of the world. Hundreds of thousands of
dollars.

I don't know, it just didn't sit well with me. Maybe it's my bias against
Kenny showing through, but it seemed much more like a grandstand move than
any kind of substantial show of support.

Mark