Re: Kenny--still out of touch

It reminds me of something that happened years ago between Kenny Rogers and
Harry Chapin.  Harry--who by his own admission, was nicknamed "Gapin'
Chapin"--was petitioning (some might more accurately call it "pestering")
Kenny to help fight world hunger.  Kenny handed him a check for several
million dollars "just to shut him up".  Harry accepted the check, and said
thank you.

Then he said, "Now, what are you going to DO?"  He realized that the money
was only a piece of what he wanted, he was really looking for a commitment,
a day to day effort to make a real difference on a long term basis.

Harry disliked the "event mentality" believing firmly that real change came
from day to day work, not through one spectacular event.

So while the public gesture is nice, and will certainly be helpful, I
believe that people might be more effective by doing some of the things
suggested, like volunteering at the Red Cross on an ongoing basis, adopting
orphaned pets, helping support local rescue workers, (one child raised
several thousand dollars to get bulletproof vests for the K-9 police dogs
in one city after reading how many of them were wounded protecting their
human masters),or--as requested by one of the NYC firemen--going to the
services for some of the rescue workers killed in the attack, as their
family and co-workers need to have tangible support at an extraordinarily
difficult time.  Perhaps donating frequent flyer miles to families of the
missing or dead so they can gather together, or any number of ways you can
help right from home.

The ways are many, but the idea is simple--as Harry said, "When in doubt,
do something."

Oh, by the way--Kenny Rogers became heavily involved in the World Hunger
Year project, and remains committed to it today.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle