Re: The Beat The Crappy Teams 2001 World Tour Continues

Paul, I understand what you're saying. Other than Antoine and Paul, the rest
of the team stinks and it's a miracle Jim O'Brien has them at 7-6. The way
he's doing it is the only way possible for this team with these players to
even be mediocre instead of being terrible. Is that right?

My feeling is this... it's terrible basketball. I refuse to believe that
playing bad basketball is better than playing good basketball. Pierce and
Walker like to play one-on-one, and you say that's the only way this team
can tread water. If that's the case, then it's time for a massive roster
overhaul, because that kind of basketball is going nowhere. So if you're
right, and this is the only way they can play and be anything less than
dreadful, then they have to ditch the "stars" and find some new ones.
Because better-than-dreadful is as good as they can get playing this style.

As for all the 3-pointers... (and please tell me you don't think 16 3-point
attempts from the power forward is a good thing)... here's a direct quote
from Larry Brown: "If you think inside/outside, you have a much better
opportunity to rebound or get fouled," Brown said. "I don't mind outside
shots, but I don't like them early in the clock. You can always get an
outside shot. . ."

This style flies in the face of everything I believe about good basketball,
and the reason I love the game. I'm not blind to the importance of talent,
but I firmly believe that the only way to maximize talent is to put five
players out there who function together. This style is awful. You're saying
it's this or it's losing. I don't buy it. Playing good basketball, the right
way, should only maximize Pierce and Walker, as well as the rest of the
team. I've never seen a basketball team underachieve because they played
together and didn't run enough one-on-one offense.

But, it's useless to rant about it. Nothing is going to change at least
until 2003.  O'Brien will be the coach, Pierce and Walker will continue to
chuck from the cheap seats at record pace, the Celtics will flounder, Kenny,
McCarty, etc. will ride off into the sunset and we'll be saved by Tim
Duncan. That's the plan, right? Haven't we been here before?

Mark

--- --- ---

Paul M. wrote:

Have to agree with you here, Way. The Celtics are a mediocre team. No doubt
about that. Over three years with Rick Pitino in charge will do that to you.
31-30 since Ricky's gone. Thank God we finally have a coach who knows how to
get the most from the mediocre talent that he inherited. Seven meaningless
wins and six "this team is going nowhere" losses. I hope this keeps up.

You're right. I hate when they win after a crappy game from Walker. Why
can't they just play the game the way it's supposed to be played. I'd feel
much better if they were 0-13. Obviously, OB doesn't know what he's doing
and this team would be much better off if they had traded Walker for
Croshere and Best when they had the chance.