Re: A Win?

----- Original Message ----- From: "bird" <birdwl@earthlink.net>

> I'm usually very happy after a win, especially a close, emotional game
> like tonight's.  I'm still happy, and I'll take a W each and every time,
> but the team didn't play well, and hasn't for at least five games
> (obviously).

I'm really surprised by the List's reaction to this game.  I felt like both
teams played pretty well and Miami certainly didn't play like a 2-10 team.
Despite any objections one might have to strategy (trapping defense,
isolation offense), I thought the team _executed_ (there's that word again)
far better than they have in the last couple of weeks.  They did look to run
more than they have recently, although not as much as they did in the early
games.  They also looked to try to play a two man game a lot, with a lot of
early turnovers and mixed results overall, but it's not the complete
isolation offense of getting Pierce or Walker to beat his man off the
dribble that is often resorted to when things break down for this team.  All
in all, if this was an "average" game for this team, I'd be happy.

When Pierce did operate in isolation, he was absolutely deadly at it.  At
one point I think he was 9-11 with his only two misses being a sequence
where he was blocked twice under the hoop.  That step-back jumper he's added
this year is terrific.  Now, when he gets the ball 15-20 feet out on either
wing, he's got three ways of scoring.  If you play off him he can nail a
quick jumper from the spot.  If you play him tight, he can drive around most
guys or, if he doesn't have the guy beat, now he can step back off the drive
and nail the J.  He had all three things going last night.  As others have
mentioned that last second play was probably the best shot the team has had
at the end of a game in years.  I thought for sure he would end up taking a
contested three, but he showed great presence recognizing that he had time
to take it to the hole, and finished with one of the best lay-ups you'll see
this year, left handed over one of the game's best shot-blockers.

The other play of Paul's that got my attention was when he was fouled on a
drive and seemed to abort his finish, with the ball down by his waist.  The
next thing I knew he had brought the ball back up and was jamming it in over
Mourning with the hand furthest from the hoop.  The basket didn't count
because the foul came before the drive, but it was an extremely impressive
move athletically.  This is another move that he seems to have added
recently, where he will lead with his left side and finish strong, dunking
the ball over the top of his head with the right hand.  It's really nice to
see him continually adding dimensions to his game offensively.  This guy is,
without a doubt, a worthy all-star candidate.

The biggest problem I see with the team right now is that Joe Johnson has
cooled off significantly from his hot start.  That's not at all surprising,
considering how much better he looked than he did in pre-season.  I know a
lot of people are shouting to see more of all of these rookies, but I think
it's best for their development if they are brought along as slowly as
possible.  I don't think you do a young player any favors by making him a
starter before he's really ready for it.  I know Antoine probably should
have been brought along more slowly early in his career.  Even though I'm
sure Johnson will be a much better player than Eric Williams before too
long, I don't think he's comfortable enough yet to be given the
responsibility of starting.

If I had one criticism of the coaching last night, it would be that OB left
Kenny in on defense with Miami looking for one shot to win.  I was thinking
it as I saw him come out of the huddle.  I mean, that's simply exactly the
spot you don't want to use Kenny, isn't it?  Strickland was in, why not use
Milt or Johnson at the other guard?  I shouldn't complain, though, since it
gave Pierce the chance to make a truly memorable play and made the finish
far more exciting than having it end on a missed Miami shot and Celtics
rebound.

Phew, I guess that's enough out of me for a while.  Looking forward to
Thursday and hoping that Cousy's there for that game, too.  I think he
really adds something to the games and, with all three guys there, Tommy
doesn't have to do the play-by-play like he used to when he teamed up with
Cous.

Jim