A Win?

I'm usually very happy after a win, especially a close, emotional game
like tonight's.  I'm still happy, and I'll take a W each and every time,
but the team didn't play well, and hasn't for at least five games
(obviously).  The team *still* went out and "trapped" or challenged the
guy with the ball on the pick and roll -- is this wise?  I mean it
requires the defensive player playing near the basket to leave that area
and go rotate to the wing or corner to defend that guy who set the pick.
This, of course, leaves the middle free of Celtic defenders.  Plus, that
defensive player who is supposed to rotate often doesn't get there fast
enough -- all this while one defender (usually Walker, but I saw Potapenko
do this too) is out beyond where any offensive player is (i.e. way the
hell out of the play for a brief while -- brief enough for putzs like
Laettner or whoever was hitting them for Miami tonight to can an
uncontested jumper.)

Even more, the offense is a matter of Pierce and Walker taking their man
one-on-one (or, one-on-two) most of the time.  When it's not, it's swing
around for a three-pointer, or even fast break for a three-pointer, which
isn't so bad if you've got a few guys underneath for a rebound -- which,
for a three point shot, is more often than not.  I've no problem with
"open threes" if it's part of a balanced diet, but the team is turning
guys like JJ and Strickland into bombers.  These guys ought to slash to
the bucket more.  Plus, why do the C's throw the ball to one of the
centers (the worst passers on the team) to initiate the offense at the top
of the key.  Yeah, I know this is a classic Wooden tactic (I even played
this offense in high school -- was one of those passers, even!), but none
of these guys are Bill Walton or Kareem.  It's not so bad when Walker is
doing this, he's a good passer, but when one of the Troika is out there,
looking for guys to pass to, possibly even *dribbling* the ball, I get
nervous.  Very nervous.

This is not about attaching blame.  I don't really care if Obie is the
prime culprit or the players are.  I care about the effectiveness of these
tactics.  Now, maybe this is only the way things will be for a little
while, when others can take up the scoring slack that our veterans (like
Eric Williams) can't seem to do consistently, but then, of course, I worry
about how this is affecting impressionable rookies like JJ, Brown and
Forte.

The Celtics did seem to want to push the ball and run more consistently
tonight, and for that I was glad.  There was good defense, especially in
the passing lanes, except for the aforementioned rotation that I just do
not get.  The C's, though, settled for the jumpshot too often.  I can
understand when Zo was in (Palacio tried a few times and just got rejected)
, but Sean Marks?  Chris Gatling?  Please.  Take it to the hole.  I haven'
t looked at the boxscore yet, but wasn't our third top scorer Williams,
with like 6 points?  Pierce explodes for 33, Walker gets 28 or so, then it'
s a couple of guys with 5 or 6 points.  I fear some teams will actually
succeed in shutting down one of these scoring machines and maybe the other
guy will have an off-night all too often.  And the Miami broadcast team
(featuring the voice stylings of the lovely Ed Pickney) mentioned sometime
late in the fourth that Walker had 3 rebounds and Pierce two.  Yikes.

All this sounds bad (well, bad for me, not bad for the List -- you'd think
the team was on a four-game losing streak or something) but a win is a win,
  and at least we finally connected on a last-second play.  Haven't seen
that in a while.  That was good.  I was pretty sure the Celtics weren't
going to be able to do that (Kestas mentioned that he was 90% sure -- I
was more like 95-99%), but Pierce took it strong and never seemed to waver
in his pursuit of the basket.  At least they didn't settle for the
jumpshot when it really came down to it.  Geez, though, Miami was 2-10
coming in to this one and we barely squeeked by.  It doesn't actually fill
me over with a whole lot of confidence, but I guess I'll take what I can
get.

(The Celtic "Tird")

P.S. Took a look at the boxscore and it's kind to the team.  V and Battie
got the bulk of the minutes at center (and had 13 rebounds between them).
Williams "only" got 21 minutes (less than I thought he'd get).  Walker was
efficient (for him) going 10-23 and 6-11. Kenny had 6 rebs, to go with 4
assists and an almost-tied-for-third 5 points.  The team shot 43% (that's
not all that good, when that's one of the "good" things).   Some bad stuff:
  Pierce's 7 turnovers, and the team's 18.  Joe Johnson only got 13 minutes,
  but still had 4 rebounds.  Ah, well.