Re: [Celtics' Stuff Re: Milt's shooting

   For the last four years, especially when Anderson has been healthy, many
of us have noticed a major drop off in scoring, when the second unit was on
the floor. I mention Anderson, because he was the only one passing the ball
to players other than Pierce or Walker and could get Vitaly or Eric Williams
10 points a game, by half time.
   Perhaps Pitino's college substitution patterns were partly responsible
for this, but we were way too often looking at four or even five players, on
the floor at the same time, who couldn't/didn't want to shoot. Chris Carr
was brought in last year and while he shot well, couldn't defend well enough
to warrant minutes.
   For me, one of the major factors in this year's team's opportunity for
success, is the notion that "defensive" players, like Palacio, have stepped
up as scorers.  Coupled with Forte or Eric Strickland, Milt can become part
of a very successful back up tandem. Have you noticed, he also had four
assists in each of the last two games, as well as (with Strickland) being
the catalyst that got us out of heaving threes and attacking the basket,
when the game seemed to be getting away from us against Seattle?
   JB

                            Unchain My Heart!

on 11/12/01 12:01 AM, kevin at bostonceltics17@yahoo.com wrote:

LSCandWLR <wrutledge@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>With all the talk about Antoine, Pierce, the centers, and the rookies,
>we haven't spent much bandwidth on some of the others, like Palacio.  I
>have seldom anyone improve his shooting in an offseason as much as he
>has.  The rest of his game has some holes --- e.g., neglect of
>playmaking, ill-advised drives in traffic --- but he now has a stroke
>from mid-range and three point range that seems first rate.  Last year,
>his shot was so erratic that he would be left open; now, he looks to be
>the third best shooter (after Pierce and Johnson) on the team.  So often
>you hear that "all he needs is a 15 foot shot" but it is so rare that
>someone that didn't have one, develops one, and Milt seems to have done
>it ........

I really like Palacio work ethic, so far he is justifying the 2 year
deal he signed (good work Wallace).

Players don't usuallly develop any extra (be it shooting, ball
handling, rebounding, etc) skills DURING the season. That's why the
off season time is the only opportunity to get an extra dimension to
one's game. And in these days of long term gauranteed deals, you
rarely sees that.

probably not having a contract coming into this season helped to
"motivate" Palacio into having a 15 ft shot.

I think, to get the best out of any player (and not make mistakes like
Kelvin Cato), shorter (2-3 year) contracts is the way to get it done.

regards
kevin lok
48-34

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT