Yao, Menk & Wang

i happened to catch the last 3 mins of a sports magazine on tv showing
the "3 pillars of Great Wall of China" (or something like that).
wanted to share my impressions of these 3 nba-caliber centers from
China:

Yao Ming - positives
I can see why everybody is drooling over him! Man, he can run like a
guard! can shoot from downtown. Closest player I can think of is David
Robinson from a atheletic standpoint. Yao does not have skills or the
moves of DRob's level YET, but Yao have the tools. I think the team
that drafts him will have to wait or invest 2-3 years more (assuming
he is full-time with the team) of development/training before reaping
the full potential of Yao's potential.

Yao Ming - negatives
I think Yao is what you see is what you get, from a body mass
standpoint. I don't think he will grow any more, even if you put him
on special diet like Shawn Bradley. Maybe he will have more definition
from weight lifting but that is all you can get from a carbohydrate
diet (rice based) - I know cos I'm Chinese myself.

Questions on Yao
I think he is the "finesse" type of player, not the bull-in-china-shop
(shaq) type. In NBA language - he is like DRob soft.

He was competing against (much) smaller chinese players. Moves looked
good, but can he handle the NBA players? Does he like to drive to the
hole or be content to play the perimeter? Will or can he do the dirty
work - rebound and bang?

Most optimistic projection for Yao
if he is 100% full time in nba (the chinese authorities might take him
away during summer time, or for international championships) after
being drafted, he might have a chance to develop into a "lite" version
of DRob. But it might take 3-4 years at least to reach this level and
by that time, the team might have to fork out "max" money.

Pessimistic projection for Yao
7-5 center with guard like mobility who failed to live up to
potential? Can't think of any such examples! I think Yao at worst can
be a sixth man, coming in from the bench to maintain the scoreline, or
he can be a useful 6 foul

If his style is not the bang and rebound type, then all his potential
will be wasted. You do not have to waste a no.1 pick on a perimeter
playing big guy (Matt bullard, Mark Pope can be had)

conclusion
I just don't buy the hype over this Chinese giant. If I got the no.1
pick and if there's a offer of the kind "Elton Brand for pick" on the
table, I'll milk it for an extra pick (or throw in our cap trash),
take it and run.

*********************

Menk Bateer - positives
Got beef! Likes to bang. Knows how to pump fake down low (but against
inferior local players). Style is more suited to NBA. Can be a more
polished Greg Kite version.

Menk Bateer - negatives
I think he is what? 26? 27? Quite a mature "rookie". Less room or time
to develop (for return on investment). Post moves looks slow, may not
have nba quickness.

Most optimistic projection for Menk
I think if he concentrates and excels in banging and rebounding, he
might have a place in the nba. Based on this, can be a 8 or 9th man.

**********************

Wang Zhi Zhi - positives
Mobile but footwork is slower than Yao. Can shoot the long ball.
Doesn't (seem to) miss layups. Good ball handler for a 7 footer.

Wang Zhi Zhi - negatives
SOFT! No muscle definition, meaning mostly like to play perimeter. I
don't think he can bang and board agressively. He didn't seem to have
post moves. Chinese version of Brad Sellers.

Conclusion
I've seen him on the Mavs too. I think Wang at best will be a 10-12th
man on any nba roster.

just my 2 cents worth.
kevin lok
48-34