Re: Milt's shooting

LSCandWLR <wrutledge@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>With all the talk about Antoine, Pierce, the centers, and the rookies,
>we haven't spent much bandwidth on some of the others, like Palacio.  I
>have seldom anyone improve his shooting in an offseason as much as he
>has.  The rest of his game has some holes --- e.g., neglect of
>playmaking, ill-advised drives in traffic --- but he now has a stroke
>from mid-range and three point range that seems first rate.  Last year,
>his shot was so erratic that he would be left open; now, he looks to be
>the third best shooter (after Pierce and Johnson) on the team.  So often
>you hear that "all he needs is a 15 foot shot" but it is so rare that
>someone that didn't have one, develops one, and Milt seems to have done
>it ........

I really like Palacio work ethic, so far he is justifying the 2 year
deal he signed (good work Wallace).

Players don't usuallly develop any extra (be it shooting, ball
handling, rebounding, etc) skills DURING the season. That's why the
off season time is the only opportunity to get an extra dimension to
one's game. And in these days of long term gauranteed deals, you
rarely sees that.

probably not having a contract coming into this season helped to
"motivate" Palacio into having a 15 ft shot.

I think, to get the best out of any player (and not make mistakes like
Kelvin Cato), shorter (2-3 year) contracts is the way to get it done.

regards
kevin lok
48-34